N-Europe

Getting into Comics and the legitimacy of digital/ipod versions

flameboy

So I've always had a vaguely passing interest in comics and such like and have the odd graphic novel and the scott pilgrim books. I also somehow have picked up on bits and bobs here and am aware of some of the ins and outs in the comic world. However following Extra Life and listening to @ReZourceman and @Happenstance discussing their comic book love I now what to try and get into comics to some extent....

However I have no idea where start or anything! I like Batman for example if that helps people.

Also with my impending move to Canada I don't really want to be acquiring tons of books/comics (currently getting rid of CD collection) likewise i'd rather not be sat at computer. Although wouldn't completely dismiss this method.

So how good are the apps on ipod? I have downloaded an app called comics and downloaded the freebie walking dead as well as paying 69p for Batman: Arkham Unhinged.

I mean where are these apps in terms of new releases? I know that DC universe has just rebooted are they released on such apps and how do the prices compare?

Im not a big fan of comics on the iPod, ive tried a few of the free ones and I just dont like only being able to see a panel at a time on a screen that size. I havent checked the prices either.

With DC's reboot they now release comics on the same weekly schedule as their paperback copies and theyre always updating the back catalogue to digital form. Marvel are also supposed to be going to same day releases but its taking longer.

the new DC comics are all released the same day on digital that they are in stores for the same price (mostly $2.99), plus I think they go down in price by $1 after 1 month of release, which most of the issue ones will be for now.

I've not read many comics on the apps as I don't really like doing it on my pc or phone, but they're apparently quite good on tablets.

Comixology do regular sales where they do $0.99 issues (e.g. every Monday Marvel have a sale on certain storylines or characters issues)

Im not a big fan of comics on the iPod, ive tried a few of the free ones and I just dont like only being able to see a panel at a time on a screen that size. I havent checked the prices either.

With DC's reboot they now release comics on the same weekly schedule as their paperback copies and theyre always updating the back catalogue to digital form. Marvel are also supposed to be going to same day releases but its taking longer.

Just looking on DC's apps and it's £1.99 an issue for the new reboot issues...dunno how that compares. Also what would you recommend, notice there are a few batman ones so to speak "Batman" "Detective Comics" and "Batman and Robin"

For the reboot issues, the #1s ive enjoyed so far have been:

Batman

Detective Comics (An ok first issue but I think it picked up in the second one)

Aquaman

Wonder Woman

Justice League

Batgirl

Nightwing

Supergirl

Superboy

Teen Titans

The Flash

For now it might be worth just sticking with the Batman/Bat-family ones you know you are interested in and then branch out into other characters, kind of how @Daft did.

For the reboot issues, the #1s ive enjoyed so far have been:

Batman

Detective Comics (An ok first issue but I think it picked up in the second one)

Aquaman

Wonder Woman

Justice League

Batgirl

Nightwing

Supergirl

Superboy

Teen Titans

The Flash

For now it might be worth just sticking with the Batman/Bat-family ones you know you are interested in and then branch out into other characters, kind of how @Daft did.

Ok cheers! I actually quite like the flow of the comics app as I've often found in the past that when reading actual comics my eyes are drawn to the more lively panels.

No idea where to start eh?

invincible%2Bcompendium%2Bone%2Bphoto.jpg

£28 = 48 issues = ridiculous value.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Invincible-Compendium-TP-Cory-Walker/dp/1607064111

And I would recommend picking up from eBay (or whatever)

Batman #1

Batman #2

and

Aquaman #1

from the DC reboot that Happenstance mentions above. Those are both good jumping in points.

No idea where to start eh?

invincible%2Bcompendium%2Bone%2Bphoto.jpg

£28 = 48 issues = ridiculous value.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Invincible-Compendium-TP-Cory-Walker/dp/1607064111

And I would recommend picking up from eBay (or whatever)

Batman #1

Batman #2

and

Aquaman #1

from the DC reboot that Happenstance mentions above. Those are both good jumping in points.

Never heard of Invincible apart from you mentioning it on here! Cheers for recommendation though. May pick it up at some point!

Never heard of Invincible apart from you mentioning it on here!

Its written by the Eisner and Scream awarding winning Robert Kirkman. It is the greatest super hero comic ever. Everyone who reads it loves it, and thus;

May pick it up at some point!

Will pick it up at immediately!

Fixed.

This isn't a recommendation, it is what you are going to do. The sooner you understand that, the sooner that your life gets better.

I think the main point is that its a good place to start because its easy to pick up (as in available anywhere) and its issue 1-80 or whatever, whereas everything else (main stream ish) needs to have easy "jumping on points". A long serial is great, so Invincible and The Walking Dead are what I always recommend.

Invincible actually is the best comic though, so its fine.

Ok cheers! I actually quite like the flow of the comics app as I've often found in the past that when reading actual comics my eyes are drawn to the more lively panels.

Animal Man and Swamp Thing are a must. Super easy to get into with the #1s. I know they sound fucking lame but they are anything but. At the very least try the first issues. If you don't like them I'd go as far as to say I'd reimburse you.

If you like comics and don't read Batwoman there is genuinely something wrong with you. It's lyrical. Something that could only be done in a comic. Some serious unnnfff.

Doooo it!!

Swamp thing as in the 90s cartoon that had a theme tune that was a cover of the song wild thing?! Anyway I read the first two issues of the new batman and loved them will post more on my views in the comic thread. Btw how much do actual copies of these comics cost? Just comparing to what I paid on ipod app comics.

It depends what you consider fair. I personally think thats fucking pricey for something that you can't physically hold, but its not "expensive" and saves on storage space, and is probably worth it for the story etc.

yeah I can see what your saying. I still have a collection that I can view on web,ios and android should I wish. I do find that using the app I appreciate the panels individually far more than I do when reading a comic, some truly stunning ones in Batman #1 and #2.

I was browsing the app and found that the first issue of invincible was free, so downloaded it.