NEurope
dan-likes-trees

Melancholia

618w_movies_melancholia_poster.jpg

Can't believe there isn't a thread for this already, considering a certain two people on this board's love of the Ophelia painting that this references.

Anyway, it's visually spectacular, reminded me of Boyle's Sunshine, the of hypnotic grandeur of the planet recalling the way that the sun is seen in Boyle's. There's even something in the grand majesty of the image of two planets colliding that brings Majora's Mask to mind (had to talk about videogames at some point in my n-europe career).

Charlotte Gainsbourg was totally brilliant. Bit less convinced by Kiefer Sutherland's turn.

Fascinating, if, obviously, totally pretentious.

Your reference to Sunshine makes me think I must see this film. Its a priority now.

You are good salesman, dawg.

Ugh. Seeing it tomorrow, finally. I've waited MONTHS. Staring at me this very moment is the advert for it ripped from the latest total film.

So ready. Making a journey into central london to see it too, as Kingston is disgusting. / They do show some joke films, but only old joke films.

Saw it.

Was stunned.

Makes Antichrist (the film previous in this latest 'stylistic trilogy' of von Trier's) seem really superficial and just out for shocks, in comparison. This had so much bubbling underneath. Felt like a dream. I felt empty at the end, as with most of his films.

Charlotte Gainsbourg <3

Kirsten Dunst <3

I love how she just didn't give a shit.

It looks amazing, but thoroughly depressing...sent me into a depressive funk and ruined my evening :blank: /weak

After seeing the trailer I really would love to see it! It's not showing in any theatres outside Dublin :(

Hey @EddieColeslaw wanna come see it with me again? :p

Saw it.

Was stunned.

But you get stunned by everything.

I can't remember the last time you weren't stunned.

Once you saw something unimpressive - and you then said it was the most unimpressive thing you'd ever seen that you were literally stunned.

Unfortunately this was when we were in bed together.

And I mentioned the fact that I was stunned by your own state of stunned-ness.

You then gave me slanted smile and said, "I'd call it a state of stun actually."

Then I returned the smile and said how you knew that I couldn't stand that word.

You then touched me on the cheek and told me to shut up.

Then we kissed.

I was stunned.

Edited by Wesley

After seeing the trailer I really would love to see it! It's not showing in any theatres outside Dublin :(

Hey @EddieColeslaw wanna come see it with me again? :p

Check yo PMs!

Yeah, saw this on Thursday night with a certain fellow N-Eer, Eddie!

I loved the film, in a twisted - creepy - mental way. Like how you'd love..I dunno..the cadaver of a loved one (?)

It gripped me. The enigmatic fog surrounding the entire film is amazing. I did get a little bored of the Wedding scene by the end of Part 1 but still couldn't help being completely absorbed. The beginning almost didn't feel like a spoiler. I was so enticed I couldn't even think of the brilliant intro.

The music. The acting. The theme of how people react. Everything. My heart was pounding so fast during the 2 moments where Melancholia performed the 'Dance of Death'.

I somehow felt like I could play all characters in the film.

(I couldn't stop thinking of Majora's Mask throughout!)

The ending was the Best. As it hit, the black screen faded in and the entire audience left in -- silence. Not a word spoken for a solid 4 minutes. As mentioned, it leaves you feeling so empty inside.

It was fine afterwards though -- jokes & critical analysis with Eddie! :p

You're my favourite person. You're just great. [/Kate Bush's accent]

Beautifully shot, wonderfully acted but ultimately it didn't engage me on an emotional level.

I love how you have to assume that scene happens when Claire and Leo are away off trying to be great in a golf buggy. Not properly dwelt upon.

That's the best part of the opening montage, it's like "Did this happen? If it did, it was off-screen.". Felt like comic universe continuity, where if you dwell too much, you realise not everything they say fits, actually does fit. But you just to apply a wide-angle lens to your eye, and it's all in it's right place.