N-Europe

Trackmania 2: Canyon

Goafer

Anyone got it yet? Looks awesome. I never really liked the handling of the first one as it wasn't possible to drift. It felt really basic and never really felt like a full game, which was why I never got the full version.

This one looks ace though. The handling looks like it might be similar to Burnout.

For anyone who's never heard of Trackmania, it's basically a track editor with a game attached. Players race each other in time trials to get the fastest time on custom tracks. There is a single player, but it's pretty much pointless. Multiplayer races are time trials, with no collisions in the game at all. Tracks get pretty mental too, with loops, half pipes and other obstacles.

I heard this game was horrible to set-up/manage/do anything you'd expect a game to let you do.

Based on the crazy stories of GiantBomb.

I was about to come in and say the same. Does indeed sound crazy some of the hoops you have to jump through to get to where you want to be doing what you want to do.

I think the stuff Giantbomb have talked about a bit was the initial launch and all the troubles it had then, especially when trying to pay. I think its sorted now.

Ah. Everything couldn't have been simpler for me. Went to the site, payed for it the same as any other site, then downloaded it and installed it. No problems whatsoever. Barely had to configure the 360 pad either.

Oh wow, this looks fantastic!

Really tempted into getting this, is it worth it Goafer?

If you liked the first one, yes.

It's not like most racing games. There is a single player, but it's only really there as an afterthought. The bulk of the game is in the multiplayer. It's not normal racing though. You basically have a track and a time limit. You have until the end of the time limit to set the best "lap" time you can. Other players appear as ghosts and can't be collided with. I find it quite addictive, but some might find it boring as you can't interact with the other players like normal.

And I love this trailer for it:

Shame I've never seen that many players in one game though. Average is 10 or so.