NEurope
Mr_Odwin

Comic Book Discussion Issue #2

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah, just looked at it on Amazon. I may pick it up. It's cheap enough and the series seems to have ended with the 10 main issues and a mini series, so there's no worries about having to pick up more volumes.

Annoyingly I'm now tempted to pick up the animated one I was originally talking about. Gonna go watch a review now and remind myself about it.

I was originally going to skip this despite liking Chip Zdarsky's writing but I think it was because I'd read the excellent Life Story quite recently and didn't feel the need to buy it again. Decided I wanted it after all for the rest of his stories and basically the end (for now anyway) of Spectacular Spider-Man.

large-7798770.jpg

large-3206335.jpg

Was really lucky and managed to spot a random restock of Uncanny X-Men Omnibus vol.1 which is out of print at the moment so that’s another one for the collection.

• Like 1

large-2703028.jpg

Volume 2 omnibus of Ultimate X-Men. Been ages since I've read this run.

Trying to save a bit of money at the moment so I've gone back to reading some books digitally. I'll still buy physical omnibus' but it's going to be more limited now to my favourite runs or things like Spider-man & X-Men where I'd like to try and get full runs. Got to admit, it has been quite nice this week being able to read whenever I feel like it instead of having to prepare a space for one of my massive books.

• Like 1

Should be last purchase until May now for new releases. Really glad to finally have the Clone Saga/Ben Reilly books finished.

large-4547313.jpg

• Like 1

Been in the mood to read some more Flash lately so finally pulled the trigger on Manapul's omnibus. Love his art.

large-5820935.jpg

• Like 1

Carrying on with the Flash books, the next one just became available so I snapped it up. On a bit of a DC kick at moment, rearranged some of my shelves so I can get a few extra in today.

large-1408508.jpg

Posted (edited)

Ended up buying the three Invincible Compendium volumes including the first Invincible Universe Compedium. Only read the first issue so far. I'm too used to manga, this is the first American comic i've actually tried to read aside from a few old Spiderman and Simpsons issues i had as a kid. Good so far.

Edited by martinist
  • Like 1

I still need to upgrade my Invincibles books to hardbacks to go with the rest of my collection. Only problem has been that they keep being released in odd sizes. There's a pretty established size for omnibus and deluxe editions but the Invincible hardbacks are nearly all too big or too small. Only ones that fit the size I want are the Ultimate Collections and there are quite a few of those.

Posted (edited)

I saw the series has been released in all sorts of ways. I just grabbed what i saw was avalible at the time. I really just want to read it, not too interested in extra stuff or fancy hardbacks. The Ultimate Collection volumes have a lot of extra stuff like concept art and writer interviews at the back of them but the number of volumes is just going to take up space on my bookshelf. Ended up getting the compendiums since they were so compact compaired ot the other releases, saves me some space.

Edited by martinist

6 minutes ago, martinist said:

I saw the series has been released in all sorts of ways. I just grabbed what i saw was avalible at the time. I really just want to read it, not too interested in extra stuff or fancy hardbacks. The Ultimate Collection volumes have a lot of extra stuff like concept art and writer interviews at the back of them but the number of volumes is just going to take up space on my bookshelf. Ended up getting the compendiums since they were so compact compaired ot the other releases, saves me some space.

That's basically my thinking as well and I would have been happy with the compendiums but I'm a stickler for my shelves looking nice and books being different heights annoys me 🤣

Went a bit nuts this evening filling in some gaps in my DC events and also picking up all the rarer JSA omnis but I'm looking forward to reading them all. I did try the Dark Nights event previously but I think I understand it better now, plus apparently it's so much better with the addition of the tie ins and the omnis include all of those.

medium-7514739.jpg?1688520769medium-4232016.jpg?1707403448medium-4920771.jpg?1705363669medium-1755122.jpg?1705374644medium-2407829.jpg?1705428453

...possibly ordered more DC books, who can tell.

large-5453399.jpg?1709334272large-2345193.jpg?1677803560large-2707496.jpg?1619071634

I know all 3 are really well thought of but I've never read them before.

• Haha 1

Anyone ever read Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol? It's a run I've always seen recommended but never looked at myself as I can find Morrison a bit hit and miss at times. 

I was doing some browsing on Amazon last night and seen there trade for Godzilla vs Power Rangers. I was tempted to pick it up. Have you read it, @Happenstance?

9 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I was doing some browsing on Amazon last night and seen there trade for Godzilla vs Power Rangers. I was tempted to pick it up. Have you read it, @Happenstance?

Yeah I have. It was fine but nothing special, a bit basic and by the numbers. If it's cheap it's probably worth a read but nothing near the quality of the regular Power Rangers or Godzilla comics.

• Thanks 1

Kind of tempted to buy a couple of DC Absolute editions for some of my favourite books that would look great in the larger size. Things like Doomsday Clock which have yet to receive the omnibus treatment.

Size example:

RaEERXi.jpg