NEurope
Mr_Odwin

Comic Book Discussion Issue #2

large-4407126.jpg?1662103479

New omnibus day. Been ages since I read Brightest Day. Bit of a wasted event really as most things they introduced immediately became obsolete as soon as Flashpoint hit.

I'm on vacation and needed to get some reading done. I happened to find a couple of comics at the library that I am currently reading. The first one was Moon Knight The Complete Collection by Jeff Lemire. I enjoyed his Green Arrow Year One stuff but I must say that I didn't enjoy Moon Knight that much. Sure, it was intriguing trying to figure out what was real and what wasn't but at the end of the day, there wasn't enough interesting stuff going on. Might give the TV series a watch now, though, as the character itself was a bit interesting. 

The other book I borrowed was Batman The Black Mirror. I'm not done yet but it is a very different Batman-story so far. Not much action but a great story. Can recommend it so far. 

I've finally started reading some comics digitally again on iPad and feel like I'm starting to find a good balance. I love my omnibus collection and want to keep on with it but it's so expensive and takes up so much space that it needs to go back to just being my favourite stories I think then everything else can be digital to start off with and possibly ungraded down the line.

Finished reading A Righteous Thirst for Vengeance by Rick Remender earlier on the iPad and loved it.

1 minute ago, Happenstance said:

You still getting comics @Hero-of-Time?

Nah. Not for a long time. I still need to pick up the final trade of Injustice though.

I was dabbling with getting all the trades for the whole of the X-Men event that has happened over the past couple of years but reading into it put me off. Whole thing seems like a mess now, what with them being in space and all. I know many fans don't want them back in the mansion but I wouldn't mind it. At least it would feel a little more grounded.

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Nah. Not for a long time. I still need to pick up the final trade of Injustice though.

I was dabbling with getting all the trades for the whole of the X-Men event that has happened over the past couple of years but reading into it put me off. Whole thing seems like a mess now, what with them being in space and all. I know many fans don't want them back in the mansion but I wouldn't mind it. At least it would feel a little more grounded.

I haven't enjoyed the Krakoa era at all. Feels like I'm reading about completely different characters. I'd love for them to go back to the Mansion.

3 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I haven't enjoyed the Krakoa era at all. Feels like I'm reading about completely different characters. I'd love for them to go back to the Mansion.

I check up now and then on what is going on and I feel the same when I read about some of my favourites. 

You delving into Hickman's new run of Spider-Man?

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I check up now and then on what is going on and I feel the same when I read about some of my favourites. 

You delving into Hickman's new run of Spider-Man?

I will do yeah but as I pretty much only buy omnibus' these days it'll be quite a while before one is released for me.

Trying to branch out a bit with my omnibus purchases this month, trying a bit more Marvel cosmic stuff along with filling some gaps in my collection like Mutant Massacre.

large-2601125.jpg?1680668823large-5955109.jpg?1690528128large-2703288.jpg?1642449058large-4121445.jpg?1694781689large-7954780.jpg?1692909297

• Like 1

Always hated how they retconned Gambit into having a role in the Mutant Massacre saga. Dude was done dirty.

21 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Always hated how they retconned Gambit into having a role in the Mutant Massacre saga. Dude was done dirty.

It always did seem like a very unnecessary twist

Used some extra Amazon vouchers to fill in some gaps in my collection before the busy month of December starts:

large-8047323.jpg?1694838147large-2776195.jpg?1672152130large-1748374.jpg?1676825620

• Like 1

Picked up these today.

F-qFY5gXgAA98mr?format=jpg&name=large

Really looking forward to finally reading The Last Ronin. Heard nothing but good things about it.

• Like 1

Great choice, I loved the Last Ronin. I haven't read the Power Rangers/TMNT crossover but I do enjoy both of their seperate titles.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Happenstance said:

I haven't read the Power Rangers/TMNT crossover but I do enjoy both of their seperate titles.

That's why I picked it up. Always wanted to read both of them and figured I would give this crossover a whirl as a taster. I see the second crossover trade is out at the end of the month. If I enjoy this one I may purchase it.

11 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

That's why I picked it up. Always wanted to read both of them and figured I would give this crossover a whirl as a taster. I see the second crossover trade is out at the end of the month. If I enjoy this one I may purchase it.

I got really into both series over the last year or so. I've got all the Power Rangers deluxe editions I can get (some just go out of print for years) and then vol.1-10, the Last Ronin and Batman/TMNT omnibus for the Turtles. Oh and vol.1 of the original Turtles run omnibus which I was surprised how much I enjoyed.

Edited by Happenstance
  • Like 1

The Power Rangers comics look a little confusing. Originally it was Go Go Power Rangers and Mighty Morphin Power Rangers but it looks like that's changed now?

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

The Power Rangers comics look a little confusing. Originally it was Go Go Power Rangers and Mighty Morphin Power Rangers but it looks like that's changed now?

It's not too hard, Go Go and MMPR have now ended and were replaced with "Mighty Morphin" and "Power Rangers". If you get them in deluxe then they're both collected together so it saves having to get two titles. First one comes out next month.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

I'm starting to run out of space again for my Marvel collection

K3x92TW.jpg

Glorious! :bowdown:

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Glorious! :bowdown:

Just don't ask me how many of those I've actually managed to read and we'll be fine :laughing:

• Haha 1

Really enjoyed the TMNT/Power Rangers crossover. Great art, cool premise and pretty funny writing made it a great read. Some of the designs the artists came up with were fantastic. I'll certainly be picking up the second TPB at some point.

• Like 1

I’m just about to move onto the Batman/TMNT omnibus so I’m glad to hear that other crossover was good. 

I may have also got a few more omniboo. It's a good thing I pay for these over time and not the full price straight away otherwise I'd be screwed.

large-8590585.jpg?1679961066large-4329576.jpg?1690666741large-7865323.jpg?1696362030

• Haha 1

Finished reading The Last Ronin this morning. Amazing. So dark for a TMNT story.

Spoiler

I knew the premise of the story before reading it but I wasn't prepared for how brutal some of the deaths were. It's always hard to see heroes fall. Reading it reminded me of the scene in the first Turtles movie where Raph gets the hell beat out of him by the foot. Always hated watching that.

I wasn't expecting April to be in this, nor was I expecting her to have had a kid who was a mutant. Very nice twist. Casey was a pretty cool character and it was nice to see her and Mikey bond.

I was gutted Mikey ended up dying but I suppose it was a fitting end. The scenes at the end where he is reunited with his brothers, father and Casey were very sweet.

Great read.:bowdown: