N-Europe

Earth Defense Force: Insect Armageddon

Daft

I have it... the Xbox 360 version anyway :p got it at work yesterday, it was on the shelf and I thought to myself "that shouldn't be there yet" ... *purchases* and what's more it was only £19.84 or something yet I only ended up paying £15 and even that was all in vouchers so... erm yay! :D

I enjoyed the original and always planned to purchase this as soon as I found out about it - which only seems like months/weeks ago - and last night it ended up being the reason I only got about three or four hours sleep because it's so awesome... yet so punishing... yes I started it on the hardest difficulty and soloed the first mission because I'm that awesome/manly/foolish... probably just the last one there actually because it took me a good few retries and a fair number of hours just to beat the first mission.

Levelled up the Jet armour a whole three and a half levels though so I'm quite pleased and I've now upgraded my arsenal significantly, planning to kick some insect ass again tonight after work, again probably solo but I'd be up for some co-op possibly at some point.

Anyway... what people need to know, It's EDF for better and for worse but it's still frantic and fun which is all that matters.

EDF! EDF! EDF!

No one got this on PS3 then? :(

Thoughts so far, it's awesome. I don't think quite as good as 2017. 2017 seemed more solid in a cardboard type way, like when you shot the robots they'd spring around and such. Also, having classes is a little strange but can only be a good addition.

Online is awesome.

There seem to be less guns in this but I'm pretty sure there are more.

Well I can't really argue with you there, but at least it didn't pretend to be anything but relatively short, I mean the low price is defintiely an indication of that as I'm sure the original would have retailed for near full price when it came out despite it being cheap now.

All I can say is there is a DLC option on the menu so perhaps we'll get level packs at some point? Not ideal I agree but better than nothing surely. :)

It's annoying because I can't really see any reason for it. It's not like the levels are detailed. In fact, I think 2017 only had a few massive maps and then had loads of different scenarios (The remix campaign is pretty weak really).

Also, the story was pretty cool in 2017. Over the levels the monsters got larger and there's that one level with just a mecha Godzilla.

I hope the DLC does fill the gap because, aaarrgh, this feels like a step back.

It is very fun. If 2017 had online (and was on the PS3) I'd be more annoyed at this iteration.

Well at least they expanded the online options plus added more varied armour types, so it's not a real step backwards... it's just worryingly light on content.

I'm still more than happy to be blasting huge aliens/insects/robots again though. :smile:

I'm really enjoying it so far :D love the jet type, really need a better gun because the standard assault rifle needs reloading after about 3 seconds. But... 50 fun acheivements! And the co-op partner gets achievements too, this time! Good stuff, although it looks rather short.

It's a great game because they've kept exactly the same formula. If they'd tried to bring it up to date, they would've ended up with a very average shooter, but they kept it silly and arcadey but added a few cool things like a QTE/active-reload type thing and armour unlocks.

• 1 month later...