NEurope
Dyson

LulzSec

Meh. I have no massive motivation or reasoning. I just think he/they are pricks. There's a whole world out there to enjoy, both on and offline, with infinite possibilities and they choose to find entertainment/self worth in fucking over thousands of people? Fuck that.

Again, it seems his personal outlet is the internet and programming of some sort. He made the choice to use his talents to be a dick instead of chasing a more constructive hobby. He's made his bed, now he can lie in it. If the courts decide he is mentally unfit or whatever, so be it. The only difference that should make is whether he spends time in prison or in care. Either is fine by me as the judge will see more evidence than I ever will and will be in a better place to make a decision than me. Either way, I'll continue to sleep like a baby.

Sure companies can be seen as evil, but they still have to obey the law and the data protection act. If they don't, they're easy to find and take relevant legal action. These weasels have no obligation to do anything. I don't want them to ever have any of my personal data.

Just as people can obey/ignore laws, companies will do so as well. How does one find a company that is not obeying the law and the data protection act? They're easy to find why? They have an obligation too?

I can understand why people believe the clean-cut marketing that companies put out while at the same time ignoring all of their personal experience of working for companies and any short-cuts they see occur. Because it's easier than demanding opacity and explanations. I just don't necessarily agree with it.

Despite my outburst, I genuinely nothing the whole lulzsec whatever. What makes me drool at the mouth with hate-twinged apathy (it is possible!) is... gah. Just everything, man. Just. Everything. My disdane is one of those giant sequoia soundsystem trees, grown like bamboo from a grain of lol. I just don't know what's worse - that society's so fucking wrong or that people are so fucking blind to it.

Maybe it's just me. TANGENT IS MY. All my.

Just as people can obey/ignore laws, companies will do so as well.

OK, fair enough. But for what? To sell data to other companies so they can advertise their crap? So what? Advertising is annoying, but it's not like someone has signed up for a mobile contract in your name because some dregs of the internet have indiscriminately published your information to anyone and everyone. The way I see it is there are "bad guys" and "worse guys" in this whole thing.

And anyway, it seems this guy is just for DDOS, not actual stealing of information as far as I can see. I may be wrong. He's still nothing to me, much like I'm nothing to him.

Same goes for all these people. To them, the nightmare of having someone steal my information is just part of "the lulz". To me, the part about them getting fucked by the long dick of the law is part of my "lulz".

The 'so what?' bit is the bit that I'm fixated on. Why do companies sell data? To make money. Why do they make money? To make the world a better place, to cure world hunger and to increase the general standard of living for all individuals. To further the legacy of the only sentient beings on this planet and the known universe. To improve the meaning of life.

I'm not sure we're suddenly in a more dangerous world because of this. Our beloved companies have measures in place to deal with fraud, do they not? If we trust companies that hold such information which can, allegedly, spawn mobile phone contracts in our name, then we can trust that fraud will be dealt with too, no? If we are questioning the competence of the abilities of those that hold our data, then I guess we're questioning the ability of those which would deal with the fraud too? Is this whole occurance scary because someone may attack you on a personal level, or because you're worried everything is insecure and curiously similar looking to a house of cards with a strong wind forecasted... No wait that's probably me.

Perhaps I've just not been affected personally by this whole thing, so I can't really feel the trembles or the horror of this whole situation. Until I see the economic world collapse under the strain of 100 mobile phone contracts for every name, I can't see the grounds for deeming the actions as dreglike or immoral. For me, there's immorality in the companies being allowed to have the powers they have which exceeds the immorality of 'theft' (which I guess is beyond the original instance of this whole dialogue, now we've realised we weren't entirely clued up and are aware it was a DDOS the possibly autistic individual is supposedly responsible for).

I forgot what I was going to say.

Lulz over?

Friends around the globe,

We are Lulz Security, and this is our final release, as today marks something meaningful to us. 50 days ago, we set sail with our humble ship on an uneasy and brutal ocean: the Internet. The hate machine, the love machine, the machine powered by many machines. We are all part of it, helping it grow, and helping it grow on us.

For the past 50 days we've been disrupting and exposing corporations, governments, often the general population itself, and quite possibly everything in between, just because we could. All to selflessly entertain others -vanity, fame, recognition, all of these things are shadowed by our desire for that which we all love. The raw, uninterrupted, chaotic thrill of entertainment and anarchy. It's what we all crave, even the seemingly lifeless politicians and emotionless, middle-aged self-titled failures. You are not failures. You have not blown away. You can get what you want and you are worth having it, believe in yourself.

While we are responsible for everything that The Lulz Boat is, we are not tied to this identity permanently. Behind this jolly visage of rainbows and top hats, we are people. People with a preference for music, a preference for food; we have varying taste in clothes and television, we are just like you. Even Hitler and Osama Bin Laden had these unique variations and style, and isn't that interesting to know? The mediocre painter turned supervillain liked cats more than we did.

Again, behind the mask, behind the insanity and mayhem, we truly believe in the AntiSec movement. We believe in it so strongly that we brought it back, much to the dismay of those looking for more anarchic lulz. We hope, wish, even beg, that the movement manifests itself into a revolution that can continue on without us. The support we've gathered for it in such a short space of time is truly overwhelming, and not to mention humbling. Please don't stop. Together, united, we can stomp down our common oppressors and imbue ourselves with the power and freedom we deserve.

So with those last thoughts, it's time to say bon voyage. Our planned 50 day cruise has expired, and we must now sail into the distance, leaving behind - we hope - inspiration, fear, denial, happiness, approval, disapproval, mockery, embarrassment, thoughtfulness, jealousy, hate, even love. If anything, we hope we had a microscopic impact on someone, somewhere. Anywhere.

Thank you for sailing with us. The breeze is fresh and the sun is setting, so now we head for the horizon.

Let it flow...

Lulz Security - our crew of six wishes you a happy 2011, and a shout-out to all of our battlefleet members and supporters across the globe

imbue ourselves with the power and freedom we deserve.

I can't see their work doing anything but the complete opposite of that.

The 'so what?' bit is the bit that I'm fixated on. Why do companies sell data? To make money. Why do they make money? To make the world a better place, to cure world hunger and to increase the general standard of living for all individuals. To further the legacy of the only sentient beings on this planet and the known universe. To improve the meaning of life.

I'm not sure we're suddenly in a more dangerous world because of this. Our beloved companies have measures in place to deal with fraud, do they not? If we trust companies that hold such information which can, allegedly, spawn mobile phone contracts in our name, then we can trust that fraud will be dealt with too, no? If we are questioning the competence of the abilities of those that hold our data, then I guess we're questioning the ability of those which would deal with the fraud too? Is this whole occurance scary because someone may attack you on a personal level, or because you're worried everything is insecure and curiously similar looking to a house of cards with a strong wind forecasted... No wait that's probably me.

Perhaps I've just not been affected personally by this whole thing, so I can't really feel the trembles or the horror of this whole situation. Until I see the economic world collapse under the strain of 100 mobile phone contracts for every name, I can't see the grounds for deeming the actions as dreglike or immoral. For me, there's immorality in the companies being allowed to have the powers they have which exceeds the immorality of 'theft' (which I guess is beyond the original instance of this whole dialogue, now we've realised we weren't entirely clued up and are aware it was a DDOS the possibly autistic individual is supposedly responsible for).

I forgot what I was going to say.

Mcoy read the first part of this sentance. Yes companies are here to provide a product and service but most people know a private organisations motive is PROFIT PROFIT PROFIT. The second there is little/no profit involved the company will not be involved in anything.

Even If it means fucking over somebody 90% of a time a private organisiation will do this to make a profit.

That first paragraph was meant to be sarcastically saying that companies are out to do good. Profifififit is pretty much what I mentioned earlier - totes agreerz.

That first paragraph was meant to be sarcastically saying that companies are out to do good. Profifififit is pretty much what I mentioned earlier - totes agreerz.

Mcoy didn't read the whole thread so apologies. Mcoy just picks away at the bits he likes, kind of like a child with his meal :P

I'm still not sure what they were aiming for. A world without security? Global anarchism?

Basically they watch too many movies and saw themselves as the cool geniuses who were decisive and had perspective while everyone else was panicked.

Basically they watch too many movies and saw themselves as the cool geniuses who were decisive and had perspective while everyone else was panicked.

225px-Laughing_man_logo.jpg

First of all, there's no evidence yet that Ryan was actually responsible for any of the attacks. All that is know for sure is that he hosted the IRC channel used by Lulzsec, which doesn't prove he was involved in the group's activities. Unless some evidence has been released in the last few days that I'm unaware of.

Secondly, Calling any of these groups terrorists is not only a very serious accusation, but, considering the way these groups operate is also simply inaccurate. Terrorism is the act of using fear to get ones own way, usually politically. These groups don't use DDoS attacks or anything else to create fear, they use them to bring attention to issues that nobody has heard of. For instance, the attacks against scientology weren't to cause scientologists to fear them and change their ways, they were launched so that they made headlines before the real life protests to bring more attention to the issue. Nobody was ever physically harmed, and nobody had any legitimate reason to be fearful.

The word terrorist has a clear definition. You can't simply throw it around by using it to describe every group that's done something you don't agree with.

DDoS attacks are more like a bunch of people standing around the headquarters of a company their protesting blocking the entrance and disrupting the operations of a company or organization. I'm not saying this is right, but its a far cry from flying a plane into a building or detonating a bomb in a crowded street.

These groups have been involved in many legitimate protests for human rights and to completely write them off because you disagree with how a few of their operations were carried out is a little bit shortsighted.

These groups don't use DDoS attacks or anything else to create fear, they use them to bring attention to issues that nobody has heard of.

That argument makes no sense. It would be like preventing terrorists from blowing up a building by blowing it up yourself before they have the chance.

Terrorism is the act of using fear to get ones own way, usually politically. These groups don't use DDoS attacks or anything else to create fear, they use them to bring attention to issues that nobody has heard of.

So gathering up personal information and releasing it to the world doesn't create fear? Especially email and password combinations?

That argument makes no sense. It would be like preventing terrorists from blowing up a building by blowing it up yourself before they have the chance.

My comment was geared a little bit more towards anonymous than lulzsec actually (as I've noticed the conversation seems to be lumping them in with everything now). Lulzsec still isn't trying to use fear to manipulate people though, its pretty obvious that they're just doing things because they can, and pretending to be grayhats as an excuse.

So gathering up personal information and releasing it to the world doesn't create fear? Especially email and password combinations?

Except they aren't trying to use fear to manipulate people. I'm not saying what they do is right, just that calling them terrorists isn't quite accurate.