NEurope
welsh_gamer

Modern Warfare 3

How are the controls in this CoD? I fancied playing one the other day, but opted to get Black Ops for the Xbox (partly because it was pre-owned for13 beans), but also because I remembered how diabolically bad the controls for CoD3 were.

It sometimes makes me wonder why Nintendo don't give away some of their code to 3rd party developers for free. I mean, it'd be no skin off their back if they gave the code they used for Metroid Corruption to 3rd parties to use in their first person shooters. In fact it would help boost sales of these games if the controls were better.

They're fully customisable, they're the best FPS controls on Wii... hell, they're the best on any console!

Finished the Story Mode today.

Well it was a pretty good interactive movie anyway.

Though wish it felt more like a game :heh:

The 2nd half I actually enjoyed and things got a bit better from there on, from the Paris levels on

Enjoyed the levels in Paris mainly the end by the Eiffel Tower and then it coming down, that looked pretty epic.

The stealth bit then in Prague really enjoyed that, and the shot sniper on the roof bit.

Dragging Soap around though afterwards was a bitch as I kept getting stuck on things in the map, unable to move backwards even just stuck there waiting to die :heh:

But Soap dying...well must say that was surprising and certainly the only time I felt any kind of attachment or care for a character in a COD game.

The Berlin level then I really enjoyed, liked how it showed you a glimpse of what was to come and then did "20 Minutes Ago" and then you picked up control. Loved the sniper bit in that part too. And then when you catch up the "20 mins" and the building comes down, that was pretty frakking cool.

The level though in the mine, felt good when going through it but having it end afterwards as kinda like the last level it felt flat. As it didn't seem big enough or epic enough, dispite the big slow mo gun fight they had getting onto the chopper.

I know you get one more level after it where you get to find and kill Makarov but that felt more like an epilogue or bonus level, especially with it taking place like 3 months after the previous level.

The start of that level though was good, finally getting control of Price and getting to use the Juggernaunts in game was fun. But when you do get to Makarov there's nothing, a few QTE button prompts and that's it, didn't feel like a "final boss" at all or even a "finale" of any kind.

A better way to have handled it might have been when rescuing the Russian President, if Makarov was there and Price after getting the President in the chopper stays behind to find/kill Makarov. Instead of splitting them apart. It could have then ended with Price fighting his way out of the mine after killing Makarov getting to a secondary LZ for pick up (racing against a clock maybe), then he could have had his cigar as the chopper flies away and maybe an FMV of some news stories or press conferences showing how peace was restored in the world and maybe show Price, Frost and others getting medals or something... or Price attending Soaps funeral.

I know with how the COD games are meant to be "grounded in reality" it's hard to have any kind of "Boss fight", and as I had played other COD's before I wasn't expecting one, but the big finish could have been handled much better, especially as this was the final part in a trilogy.

Goldeneye is a great example of how you could make a non-sci-fi, non-alien game, grounded and yet still have some kind of boss fight at the end. Then again GE's single player was so much better anyway and more of a game with actual misable objectives and choices for the player to make than an interactive movie

Wonder what Infinity Ward will do next? Will they try make a new "original" COD game (is that an oximoron?) or will they go for a MW4?