NEurope
Wesley

eBayer claims the mobo I sold is broken...

Title sums it up really.

I sold an ASUS P5N32-E SLI Plus on eBay a couple of days ago.

It worked fine when I last used it.

They claim it doesn't work, would like a refund and have opened an "eBay Case" or something.

However, they've said that the CPU fan worked, the CD-Drive opens (presumably other fans start) but that "nothing happens".

They also claimed no beeps were heard... although I was sure that mobo never beeped on start-up anyway.

I asked for them to check if the graphics card's fan was running and they've said no.

Here's the list of components they're using:

Intel E1400 celeron 2.00 cpu also tried a dual core 2.5

Intel h/s/fan

Nvidia GTX260 gfx

Hitachi 250 gig Hard driveS

Blue storm II 550 watt psu

Floppy drive

super writemaster dvd/cd drive

samsung generic ddr2 at 667mhz. also tried pny ddr2 at 533mhz.

Can anyone see anything wrong with what they're using and my mobo?

I don't want to scam them if it's actually broken (obviously), but it was fine when it left me and at best I'm going to have a mobo returned to me and at worst I'm going to have a broken mobo returned to me (that did work).

Any help would be great... I don't want it back, lol.

Some ebay users are morons. I once complained that a game I purchased never arrived. He instantly left a negative mark and claimed I lied without talking to me first. He claimed I lied because he used Royal Post and because of that the game must have arrived >_>

I don't know what to do in your case, either he is a moron or he is right, in either case you lose...

(I hope someone else have more useful answers than this...)

If you can't solve it quickly, ask them to return it. eBay will almost always side with the buyer.

Hum... crappy.

Annoyingly I then don't have any way to test it once it's back, I have no suitable RAM/GFX/CPU.

I can't risk putting it up on eBay again in case it is actually borked.

I suppose I could see if one of the technicians at work could test it for me...

Pooy.

I always put "sorry, no refunds" on each sale i make. I also mention that i am not responsible if this item gets lost in the mail, or damaged on transit. But i do pack it well. In my opinion, it solves the issue of "morons and idiots" trying to get a refund, and keeping the item.

In your case, i'd ask him to send the item back. Test it yourself, if it works still then he was a moron and doesn't get nothing.

Well... I've given a refund and he's said it's in the post today.

I'll take into the help desk at uni and get them to test it for me.

Hopefully it'll work and I'll put it on eBay with a "NO REFUND" or something.

The board obviously has power. Does it "do nothing" as in literally nothing? The monitor doesn't switch out of standby? It could well be the graphics card that's broken. If not then it probably is the mobo.

He said he'd tried the graphics card in another machine, so it's probably the mobo.

Either that or he didn't switch on the screen...

Well... I've given a refund and he's said it's in the post today.

I'll take into the help desk at uni and get them to test it for me.

Hopefully it'll work and I'll put it on eBay with a "NO REFUND" or something.

See, i wouldn't have given a refund until i tested it out. I've been shafted once or twice by ebayers, who claimed they posted it back after i gave a refund, and the item never showed up.

So any item i sell now always has "No refunds" in the information. ebay side with the seller, if that is in the box. Angers the buyer because they are either left with the broken item, or a failed attempt.

Well the refund isn't released until the item is returned.

It's sorted through PayPal.

I'll test it again and go with what you've suggested.

I didn't realise you could just put, "No refunds" and that'd sort you out.

It has sorted me out of many situations. Had a buyer claim that a copy of Windows Vista wasn't working, he put a case through to get his money back. Posted the item back to me, but because i put "No refunds" and put that "i had fully tested the product before selling", ebay dropped the case. I had the item back, didn't need to give him his money as Paypal had released it back to me, after putting that block on (they do that if someone puts a case of complaint/refund on you) and sold it again for £50, price i sold it to that guy in the first place.

Made £100, and the guy who complained was out of pocket.

Sweet!

So it's literally just in the description part?

EDIT: I need to go add that to the PSU I'm selling in case I get another spanner.

Literally yes, i learned the hard way about it. I'm still trying to sort out an issue involving a missing copy of "Mass Effect 2" i ordered over 2 weeks ago.

Mobo would only beep if a speaker is installed onboard or otherwise. Was any mention made to what wattage is on the PSU? (Nevermind just read original post properly) Also was this person using standoffs? Regardless there could be the risk that this person has krunked the mobo themselves.

Is it possible for you to RMA it if they return it to you? (At no cost of course)

Edited by Ten10

No probably not, it is around four years old.

I don't think I ever even registered it either.

(Shit I need to do that for my new PC parts.)

Yeah, a sold as is thing is always good, no returns due to nature etc(tbf on a mobo i dont think that too bad, they might mash it up themselves).

Do you have any way to know exactly if the same one is returned to you? I mean it could genuinely just be faulty. Get them to return it I say, who pays return postage on a faulty?

They pay for postage.

In terms of them swapping it for a different one, same model etc, I suppose I can't find out if they've done that.