N-Europe

Soul Calibur V

Retro_Link

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry for bringing an old topic back, but I just want to ask whether every else also notices a steep rise in difficulty when playing Arcade mode (battle 6 opponents), especially around Stage 3-4? I'm trying to beat it on hard and I do okay, win with relative ease, on the first two stages. Then stage 3 gives a challenge and stage four.. well, I've never got past stage 4! I tried so many times with Xiba and Nightmare, my two best characters, and I just couldn't get past Natsu and Ivy respectively. I'm never even really close: I may win 1 round but then they just go bananas on me and kill me within 10 seconds the following rounds. It's frustrating and also one of the reason I gave Street Fighter IV away; it had the same sudden rise in difficulty when battling the last character.

Edited by MindFreak

Sorry for bringing an old topic back, but I just want to ask whether every else also notices a steep rise in difficulty when playing Arcade mode...

It's Soul Calibur... the further you get in Arcade Mode the cheaper your opponents tactics will become, my advice? Be even cheaper! :heh:

If you want to beat it that badly then just stick with a character you're familiar with that preferably has some long-range moves - I use Xiba - and just work away at your enemy knocking them back from afar and then going in for a grab as they attempt to get back up, then just rinse/repeat until you win. :D

Hope this helps and good luck! : peace:

I'm just trying to get the achievement for clearing Arcade on hard.

It really pisses me off. I haven't done it but had to turn off the Xbox now because partly I need to do something else, and partly because I got so angry with it. Seriously, the computer should get the "Stale Moves" award! It's so frustrating!

Edited by MindFreak

So after another couple of tries, it seems that I was unloucky get Nightmare as the "end boss" every time. Couldn't for the life of me beat him but then I tried again and got Kilik as end boss which only took me a couple of tries to beat. So now I've done it! It's a really slow game to earn achievements in, though. Surprises me a bit. But it's also the first game (or well, perhaps the second, Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes also) that makes me wish I could play online (for free).

• 2 months later...

So what's your verdict on this, guys? I've been reading reviews and watching videos, and I'm still thinking. What I've gathered so far is that the story / single player is pretty shit, but the online does seem pretty interesting, especially considering the robust nature of the character creation.

So anyone been playing this online? Your thoughts?

I had the game for a couple of weeks then I traded it in! If you liked previous Soul Calibur games and enjoy online multiplayer then you'll love this especially considering how cheap it is now and there is very little lag online, the character editor is really nice too and you unlock more parts as you gain experience points and level up by playing the game. Aside from those 2 features the game is sorely lacking in offline modes compared to previous Soul Calibur games, there's no Weapon Master mode or extra weapons to unlock for characters and the story mode largely focuses on Patroklos and Pyrrha, I don't think you even get an ending for completing arcade mode.

I have put about 20 hours into the game to this day (got it in March). I tried online multiplayer when there was free live last weekend and I enjoyed that somewhat. It was a bit slow to find opponents and when I found some, they were way too good for me. But that's just me sucking at fighting games like this.

I really enjoy it as I did with SCII, my only other version of SC. It's quite an improvement but I do wish it was possible to turn off the Critical Edge-moves (super-moves that freezes animation and have you loosing half your health if hit). Also, the computer cheats a lot. :P But yeah, I think it really excels online with lots of modes and enjoyable fights.

• 5 months later...