N-Europe

Foo Fighters

Ganepark32

With their seventh album, Wasting Light, out tomorrow, I felt like making a thread.

Been a fan for years (since The Colour and The Shape or around that time), and even managed to see them live a few years back, so I always get excited to hear what Grohl and Co. are working on. And given how they went back to basics to record this new album (all done on tapes and recorded in Grohl's garage!) I'm definitely looking forward to picking up the album tomorrow and hearing the full thing.

I've been listening to a few of the songs, though, and they're great so far.

Rope - The first single off of the album:

And I particularly like this one, with Krist Novoselic coming in for bass giving a very Nirvana feel to the song:

Liking the sound of it much more than their last album, Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace, from what I've heard so far.

So yeah, anyone else a fan and looking forward to the new album? Favourite songs from them over the years?

I love...

Always have done, they'll never match their greatest album - The Colour and the Shape - but each new album usually brings with it some solid singles even if they aren't truly satisfying as a whole. :hmm:

But I have gained a lot of enjoyment through listening to them over the years so I fully intend to purchase their latest album asap and can't wait to hear it in full. :D

My taste in music may have changed - somewhat drastically - over the last few years but I still have something of a soft spot for the Foo Fighters and always will. : peace:

Love the Foo Fighters! They've never released a bad album in my eyes, although I do tend to only listen to half of every album for some reason.

From what I've heard of this album so far, it seems to be really good once again. White Limo and Rope are really good, although Rope is being a bit overplayed on the 'ol radio.

So... having given Wasting Light a good five listens now I can safely say that it is without a doubt their best album since The Colour and the Shape and quite possibly their best work to date.

Foo Fighters for so long have frustrated me by failing to truly deliver - for me - since that point, now that's not to say that they've been a dissapointment, far from it... In Your Honour was a most excellent - almost - return to form for them delivering many solid hits but Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace just ended up falling flat aside from a few songs. :hmm:

But now they have finally outdone themselves, for their latest album is basically what they've never quite delivered since their early days, now they finally have and it's simply a joy to behold. :)

From the very start it's straight in there with the heavy guitar riffs that sound fantastic, then the lyrics kick in, the rythym forms and about a minute into the first track you know that you're going to be listening for the duration of the album... all the time you're listening though, waiting for that one dull track but this time, it never comes, it just keeps going, keeps flowing, keeps rocking and most importantly keeps you listening. :D

The time Dave Grohl spent in the company of Josh Homme as part of Them Crooked Vultures was certainly not wasted, indeed their debut album was fantastic in its own right but what's particularly stunning here is the influence that Homme has had on this album as it clearly shines through particularly on the track White Limo which screams shades of You Think I Aint Worth A Dollar from the stellar Queens of the Stone Age classic Songs for the Deaf.

What's most striking of all though is that this is a fantastic album in it's own right and easily features the best selection of songs on a Foo Fighters album since The Colour and the Shape. In all honestly I wasn't expecting Wasting Light to blow me away yet here I stand - nay kneel! - before the talent of a truly great band that I had once lost a bit of respect for and now am in awe of once again. : peace:

Quite simply... I love. :heart:

I bloody love the Foo Fighters right now.

Saw them at Dingwalls in Camden in Feb, was bloody awesome, 400 people, 1m away from Dave, talked to him and got his guitar pick, shared water and a towel with him. 3 and a half hour set, best gig ever. Will never forget. Seeing them at the Isle of Wight Festival in June tooooooooooooo.

The new album is so good too.

PS. Written under the influence of alcohollllllll......

Yeah, I bought the album on Monday and have been listening to it a lot since and I have to agree, it's fantastic. The best I've heard from them in some time.

It's clear, as you say SCG, that Grohl has taken to heart some of the influences from working with Homme on Them Crooked Vultures as well as relishing in a back to basics approach which really has allowed them to become more like their original/earlier sound. Even the producers and such they worked with has clearly helped, as there are some definite nods to Nirvana here and there (I Should Have Known particularly which I love).

I'm loving that there's a bit more oomph this time around, with heavier riffs which were definitely missing in the last album and to some extent in In Your Honour. I think those albums felt more aimed towards the mainstream, which can clearly be seen in the songs they choose as singles, but here it all sounds like it's for the Foo fans who've been interested from the early days.

Hopefully it won't take nearly as long for them to get back to this mark with subsequent albums moving forward, as the back to basics approach has really brought the best out of them.