NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
scubahood

Updating to Windows Media Center

Just wondering if it is possible to update my current XP to Windows Media Center is there an update i can buy (yea right) or another way i could aquire it?

You could buy it from an online retailer like overclockers.co.uk.

I think Media Center is quite picky over which hardware it supports though (TV card-wise), although I could be totally wrong.

Yes Odwin, you are right.

MCE XP requires a decent TV card or a graphics card with VIVO (video in video out). If you do not have either of these, you can't even install MCE. I'd actually recomend you to buy it, not only is it pretty cheap but it comes with a remote and little set top box so you can use your PC as a TV.

Yes Odwin, you are right.

MCE XP requires a decent TV card or a graphics card with VIVO (video in video out). If you do not have either of these, you can't even install MCE. I'd actually recomend you to buy it, not only is it pretty cheap but it comes with a remote and little set top box so you can use your PC as a TV.

You have to buy the remote seperately. Check out Microsoft website, it has a full list of all tv tuners, gpu, etc that have been certified to work with MCE.

You don't even get a remote anymore? What a jip!

Yea, its pretty lousy. You cant actually buy the media center by itself either - because its an oem, MS have some thing about you having to buy a system component when purchasing it, like an HDD etc.

be warned, media centre is supported only to oem pc makers, not end users.

so when you need a new driver etc you can be stuffed.

microsoft does not sell xp-mce direct to the public - it makes that clear on their website. ms also says it is too fussy for the "public" to install.

some shops do sell it but "only to people building systems" officially.

while card makers like ati, at least for version 1 of the software did not allow driver downloads from their site but refered requests to the pc builders who would be supplied with ati updates to pass on.

Sign in to follow this