N-Europe

Cannabis: What's the Harm?

Debug Mode

I'm surprised that's all that's listed as the downside.

Essentially a bit of potential laziness.

I always wonder if people on the pro-drugs-are-awesome-make-them-legal thing have ever had any actual experience of drugs.

And no, I don't mean doing some bullshit party drugs or a bit of weed or whatever bullshit.

I mean actually living with people who have had serious drug problems, seeing them go from A to shit and what actually happened in that span.

It also annoys me that people pull these stupid statistics to help their pro-drugs idea, about death rates and crime rates, etc.

As if an issue this serious can really be boiled down to a few hard numbers.

Of course when the government acts stupid and needlessly raises the class for a certain drug based on a few of their own numbers people cry about not seeing it in context.

Anyway.

In short: People who do drugs are benders.

I only made the list based on my own experience and the reasons those in powers claim to be the basis of the classification of cannabis.

I've seen a few people go into a massive decline on drugs, only 1 I knew declined due to cannabis, but that's because it inflamed a pre-existing mental condition.

Every other person I've known has done it sensibly. They know their limit, they know when not to do it (most of these people are university students), yet have been fine (compare that to the state some of them get in on the influence of alcohol).

No where did I claim it is completely harmless. The main method of drug administration when it comes to cannabis is smoking it, the harms are obvious at that point. But compare this to shit like alcohol and its after effects, how much is spent in tax payers money at the weekends cleaning up the streets?

'Drug users are benders'? Get over yourself. I no longer do it, but you have no decent basis to say it.

It's a weird one- I think the psychogical effects of weed are probably underplayed by pro drugs folk and overplayed by anti. I've seen people get weird on weed and I'm of the opinion that the 'harmless' tag for weed is basically bullshit. It varies though, and it's certainly no more dangerous than alcohol.

I've always insisted if you're sensible, know when to stop and are of sound mind, cannabis is pretty much harmless. That's the only time I'll say 'pretty much harmless', as every one knows the danger of smoking, and it's basically that but you're burning an extra ingredient.

In my experience of being on weed before, never had a bad time. I sat back with friends, watching comedies, playing video games and the like. All I regretted was over estimating my stomach during and ordering 2 kebabs.

But of course, I was never a heavy user, where problems can occur (much like every other thing such as alcohol and cigarettes).

I'm not saying that they're morally the same. I'm saying people using the legalising argument on it's own doesn't stand up. Things are illegal for a reason, making them legal doesn't make them right. The argument is whether cannabis (and other drugs) is wrong and should be illegal. Legalising it to reduce gangs' income is a benefit, not a reason.

On the surface, what I said originally is flawed. You'd have to be a fucking moron to come out and say 'oh all these things that are illegal should be made legal as the under world makes money out of it'.

But, the reason I said it in relation to cannabis is due to the fact that it's now pretty much socially acceptable. I imagine more people than ever are now smoking it and for every eighth or what ever measurement is common now sold (£20~25 London), that's money going god knows where for some thing that most people think is fine.

Like most things, if you enjoy it in moderation, you'll be fine. It's not any where near as harmful as people make it out to be, but if you look at Jay's post, this will open up a clean drug market. You will know what strain you're smoking, you will know your money isn't fuelling illegal activities in a gang that could be going on any where in the world.