NEurope
Beast

Fitness 2011

14 to 13 is one, 13 to 12 is another one, so that's two. If you went from 10 stone 4 to 10 stone 3 you wouldn't say you've lost two pounds!

I'm thinking he's (wrongly) factoring in the 18st to 17st 14 as well

As JonSt said, I counted the 18st to 17st 14lbs. Then counted 13. Then the 12.

Ah well, whatever! lmao. We all have our blonde moments...I was happy in my little bubble of ignorance as well! ;):p

Edited by Animal

my diet is completely off the path at the moment.... I think i'm only realising now that I'm pretty much self medicating what is getting into relatively bad depression... with food.

Do I pluck up the courage to go to a doctor? Don't really know if I want to talk to anyone about it in person... bleh. I can blither on about my physical health issues but mental stuff is a whole other ball park.. :(

I kind of know how you're feeling right now, R_A. I'm not really feeling myself either and I've not been eating like I normally do. I have porridge for breakfast, an apple and my dinner and that's it. I struggle trying to keep those down as well. If it's really worrying you this much, I would either speak to a doctor or speak to a close friend, I find that helps whenever I feel down.

I kind of know how you're feeling right now, R_A. I'm not really feeling myself either and I've not been eating like I normally do. I have porridge for breakfast, an apple and my dinner and that's it. I struggle trying to keep those down as well. If it's really worrying you this much, I would either speak to a doctor or speak to a close friend, I find that helps whenever I feel down.

Yeah this is a very long term problem to be honest and I've talked my jaw sore about it (eternally thankful to people who always listen <3) but I think I need more of a long term solution.

I'm the opposite in that I binge myself stupid based on the endorphins /sugar high that junk food creates... Its almost getting to an OCD point where if I don't eat the sugar I fear what will happen.. So I'm heading to diabetes at a scarily fast rate if I don't deal with it now. I don't even know if I can go on anti depressants with all the other crap i'm on but I think I need to consider it.

People think its just simply greed and nothing more because I don't purge or starve... but its genuinely starting to turn into an eating disorder :/

I just feel like I'd get told to go away as I have done in the past about stuff (like my dodgy knees, feet and shoulders) based on my weight. Dr's aren't interested in why I'm not losing the weight.. they just want you out of their face!

Tomorrow will be 1 month since I started going to the gym 4 times a week, and it's paying off. Slowly but surely.

Yeah this is a very long term problem to be honest and I've talked my jaw sore about it (eternally thankful to people who always listen <3) but I think I need more of a long term solution.

I'm the opposite in that I binge myself stupid based on the endorphins /sugar high that junk food creates... Its almost getting to an OCD point where if I don't eat the sugar I fear what will happen.. So I'm heading to diabetes at a scarily fast rate if I don't deal with it now. I don't even know if I can go on anti depressants with all the other crap i'm on but I think I need to consider it.

People think its just simply greed and nothing more because I don't purge or starve... but its genuinely starting to turn into an eating disorder :/

I just feel like I'd get told to go away as I have done in the past about stuff (like my dodgy knees, feet and shoulders) based on my weight. Dr's aren't interested in why I'm not losing the weight.. they just want you out of their face!

Oh trust me, I know about that more than anybody. I eat with emotions too. At least I used to. I don't know what's happened but it's like I don't want to eat at all.

Talking helped me quite a bit and talking to somebody who's also been through it helps even more. It helps to not have the temptation in the first place. I don't have any biscuits or anything in my house except for the ones who want them. I mostly eat fruit and porridge now. Try and change the sugary stuff into fruit, grapes are quite sweet and could be a good replacement for the sugary stuff.

Recently I thought I'd have a go at getting rid of the old flab since I'm now back at uni, so last week I signed up to fitness first. Anyway today I had my first session with the personal trainer and god did I feel rough after! By no means am I fit (far from it) but I didn't realise how unfit I was until today, I honestly thought I was about the pass out once I'd finished. I feel quite good with myself now I've recovered though :D

My diet is fairly good for a student and I don't drink so that helps, hopefully the fat will fly off pretty sharpish.

What does everyone think of alcohol + muscle building? Is it necessary to go totally teetotal?

I've just rejoined the gym and I love it, but my muscle recovery was poor over the weekend. I'm not a big drinker - I had one pint of beer on Saturday, and I just wonder if that's enough to have a noticeable effect (eg. less reps, lower weight)?

My workout was quite poor today. It's probably just because it was my 3rd visit, but I read that alcohol lowers testosterone and inhibits protein synthesis - both very bad for muscle building! I do enjoy one beer after work on Saturday, but am thinking of going teetotal if it'll help my fitness.

What does everyone think of alcohol + muscle building? Is it necessary to go totally teetotal?

I've just rejoined the gym and I love it, but my muscle recovery was poor over the weekend. I'm not a big drinker - I had one pint of beer on Saturday, and I just wonder if that's enough to have a noticeable effect (eg. less reps, lower weight)?

My workout was quite poor today. It's probably just because it was my 3rd visit, but I read that alcohol lowers testosterone and inhibits protein synthesis - both very bad for muscle building! I do enjoy one beer after work on Saturday, but am thinking of going teetotal if it'll help my fitness.

A lot of things can affect recovery. How much sleep did you get, for example? Did you get enough of the right foods?

I don't think one beer every so often will destroy your fitness. If you're going out getting hammered every weekend, then it won't help. :heh:

What I do if I've had alcohol the day before is try not to do a heavy lifting session. So, some running, cycling, hula-hooping (yeah...) or skipping (double yeah). Unless you're feeling particularly up for it and know you'll be able to lift a good amount. If not, I try to sweat it out. I usually feel pretty great afterwards.

A lot of things can affect recovery. How much sleep did you get, for example? Did you get enough of the right foods?

I found it hard to get to sleep on Sunday night, and probably got 7 hours. Pretty sure I ate enough food though. The most likely explanation is just that I'm starting out again. I just hate the idea of alcohol inhibiting my muscle growth.

N.B. I'm a few years over 30, so probably have slightly less testosterone than I did a few years ago, unfortunately.

I found it hard to get to sleep on Sunday night, and probably got 7 hours. Pretty sure I ate enough food though. The most likely explanation is just that I'm starting out again. I just hate the idea of alcohol inhibiting my muscle growth.

N.B. I'm a few years over 30, so probably have slightly less testosterone than I did a few years ago, unfortunately.

Sleep is pretty important. I've massively underestimated it over the years, and am beginning to appreciate it now.

Three sessions in is still early days. You'll have a run of good ones, and then one which probably isn't as great as the rest. Happens to everybody. I get some sessions now where I think "ya, I should've done better" or "today was not a good day."

lack of sleep and dehydration would affect you more than the actual processing of said alcohol, and that's only when your like seriously bulked up, pure muscles and nothing else.

I drink loads (of non-alcoholic beverages), so I'm sure I'm not dehydrated. In other news, my belly is disappearing at an incredible rate, which is good, obviously, but it also provides a clue: Maybe all my calories are being used up after all.

One beer like you said isn't going to make any difference. If you're muscle building then you need to be taking on additional calories, striking the balance is taking on just enough to build the muscle with appropriate workouts whilst not taking on too many excess that will lead to fat.