N-Europe

That's So Not Raven

Ashley

The CW is considering replacing Smallville, after it finally gives up the ghost, with a show based on Raven.

raven-tt.jpg

That one.

Diego Guitirrez, known for his work on programmes such as V and Without a Trace, has been tasked with both writing and directing the potential series.

It did better in the ratings than Smallville did last year, and better in overall placement than Smallville has in season 8 and 9 :p

Correct but those are fasle ratings if you like, since Smallville was moved to Fridays and we all know how few people watch TV on Fridays! Check the ratings for when it was on Thursday nights and that was against the two biggest shows on TV at the time, Greys and CSI.

They're real ratings (as real as the Neilsens system is) because they really happened and they really recorded viewing figures regardless of the day.

Well no.

It's the reason the show is seen as a success even though it's viewing figures are vastly down from Thursdays nights, because it's still ging steady even though it's on Fridays now. It's not a one show example, it's the trend from every show that has ever aired on Friday nights. It's why it seen a sign of a show going out the door if it's moved to Friday nights.

I'm aware of that.

What I was saying is you can't say "the ratings can be disregarded because [insert excuse here]" because we have to accept them, context and everything. Chuck's ratings are low because its against House, Outsourced's ratings are high because it has a good lead in etc etc. You can't say "Veronica Mars was cancelled because its ratings were low" and then say "but ignore Smallville's ratings because its on a Friday night".

The ratings system is hugely flawed. Either you completely disregard it all or you embrace it all. You chose to embrace it earlier. Stick by that.

I'm aware of that.

What I was saying is you can't say "the ratings can be disregarded because [insert excuse here]" because we have to accept them, context and everything. Chuck's ratings are low because its against House, Outsourced's ratings are high because it has a good lead in etc etc. You can't say "Veronica Mars was cancelled because its ratings were low" and then say "but ignore Smallville's ratings because its on a Friday night".

The ratings system is hugely flawed. Either you completely disregard it all or you embrace it all. You chose to embrace it earlier. Stick by that.

Yes, but you have to take it in the right context that you're completely missing. Ignore me, but look at any other respected TV analyst or entertainment website or even this and they will all say the same thing about Friday nights, There's a reason it's the worse viewed night of the week. I'm not giving excuses because by normal standards, Smallville was still lowly rated on other nights compared to other networks shows, but by CW standards it's highly rated. My point is you can't help but have some context when looking at shows on Friday nights, the show hasn't suddenly dropped a million viewers because it's become shit.. The ratings system being flawed is another tangent completely.

The show hasn't dropped a million viewers because it suddenly became shit, it shed of a million viewers who weren't that interested and couldn't be bothered to make the transition. Look at Chuck, its held consistent (but relatively poor) ratings across the years and timeslots because it has a small but loyal fanbase. Same was true of Dollhouse. If a move creates a dramatic change of ratings it shows a drop of interest.

I'd say it's more to do with losing the casual viewers, the proper fans who watched the show will follow it to another day but the people who just watched it because maybe it was on after another show they liked wouldn't bother. Its not gonna be this massive coincidence that pretty much every show that gets moved to Friday nights loses a percentage of their viewer numbers

I'd agree with both parts (the first part is what I was trying to say, you just said it better) but I still say you can't say "the ratings must be ignored/adjusted just because its on Friday". Yes, Friday is a bad night for TV (less so now then it used to be) but there are no ifs and buts when it comes to this. Likewise Tuesday/Thursday is a good night for comedies but Cougar Town still does reasonably well on Wednesday.