NEurope
Goafer

Makin' Music

The only music thread I could find was about original compositions and this doesn't really fit in there.

Me and a friend made a recording earlier (my first recording ever. It's proper special). He was on guitar, I was on bass. It's We are Sex Bob Omb by Sex Bob Omb from Scott Pilgrim. Obviously the intro is straight from the film but the rest is us and a generic drum beat. Can't really hear the bass unfortunately.

Anyone else made some sweet music?

I'd love to have mastered this for you. Just a couple of tweaks here and there would have made this really stand out. But really good sound though, not quite as lo-fi as the original but certainly very close. I like it.

I did Music Technology at college (and attempted at Uni) but I was never very proud of what I achieved, with the exception of two songs. One was a midi sequence for a script that we had to compose the music for, the other was a recording where we recorded a band and vocals separately and had to master it all together. The vocalist was absolutely DIRE but the end result sounded great. I'll put it on YouTube at some point soon.

The guy who put this together is pretty good at putting things together as well. I just think it lost a lot when made the MP3 into a movie/added it to YouTube. I think we could have done better too, we were just messing around really.

I'll hopefully be getting one of these for Christmas so I'll be able to fanny around and make my own stuff.

Slightly better version:

And a shiny new penny for anyone who can guess where the "Band" name comes from. Link for the lazy

Edited by Goafer
Automerged Doublepost

My friend wanted to try Aerodynamic by Daft Punk. So we did. It was ok, not great IMO.

Nice, tapping for teh win :D Sounds pretty good to me, in regard to both playing and mixing. Though as for the bassline, it's pretty conservative...you're allowed to mess around too, you know... ;D

Yeah, I think the bass is what I don't like about it. Just seems boring.

Hopefully learning something better for the next one. I'm tempted to have it just me on the next one too.

Got my own Pod GX today and had a go at recording my own bit of music. I did go through and make the guitar bit as well, but it sounded shit on the bass so I just made the bass line:

I'll be making more soon hopefully.

It's Echoes by The Rapture. The same song that's used for the intro to Misfits.

And a very quick one:

Da Funk by Daft Punk.

Edited by Goafer

I'm assuming this is the thread to post covers in, and not your own personal thread to show your cover, Goafer. Apologies if it is/someone make a general music thread! :)

Anyway, just sharing a quarter-cover I made of this song!

Please take me to your house and let me play :p

That was beautiful by the way.

Please take me to your house and let me play :p

That was beautiful by the way.

*takes you to my house* There, play away :D

I distinctly remember a video of you playing some kind of mash-up/combination of songs, before you changed your username, but I can't seem to find the thread! You have a keyboard but not a piano, right?

And...thanks :)

I'm assuming this is the thread to post covers in, and not your own personal thread to show your cover, Goafer. Apologies if it is/someone make a general music thread! :)

Anyway, just sharing a quarter-cover I made of this song!

Pch! I could play that with one leg strapped to my face. JK it's awesome

Pch! I could play that with one leg strapped to my face. JK it's awesome

Pfffft you're not impressing anyone, I could do that too but not my right leg because I need it for the sustain pedal ;)

Thanks!!

*takes you to my house* There, play away :D

I distinctly remember a video of you playing some kind of mash-up/combination of songs, before you changed your username, but I can't seem to find the thread! You have a keyboard but not a piano, right?

And...thanks :)

De rien. Mon coeur ne batte que pour vous.

Oh, yes. That was me. That video was OK, at best. I've never got lessons so it was probably shit to a pianist like you :p I will get lessons this summer though. I'll be the new Nina Simone. Bitch.

Tá tú ceart freisin. Níl aon rud ach an Keyboard agam. I'd love to have a full piano though. Wishful thinking? :love: My keyboard is meh. I can't practice with the pedal and each of the keys weigh the same. Very light. Ughr.

De rien. Mon coeur ne batte que pour vous.

Oh, yes. That was me. That video was OK, at best. I've never got lessons so it was probably shit to a pianist like you :p I will get lessons this summer though. I'll be the new Nina Simone. Bitch.

Tá tú ceart freisin. Níl aon rud ach an Keyboard agam. I'd love to have a full piano though. Wishful thinking? :love: My keyboard is meh. I can't practice with the pedal and each of the keys weigh the same. Very light. Ughr.

:heart:

I finally found your video, it was in General Chit Chat when I thought it was here :nono: Go bhfios domsa, bhí sé go hiontach! :) Shakey start, but very creative once you got into it. Nach mór an trua é...hate it when the keys aren't properly weighted like piano keys. It's probably ok for people who are used it, but I played on this old piano all my life so... I was considering getting a keyboard/portable grand for when I'm not home, but it was too much effort/money. Well, you know what to save up for now :D

Playing/sight-reading the first two pages of "Nothing Better" by Jung Yup. Easy, but sounds so nice~

That sounds amazing, Eddie! I'm envious.

---

I'm a self-taught amateur piano player, meaning I look up tutorials on YouTube and memorise the pieces from those. I only know two pieces 100%, one of which I've uploaded a video of myself playing (not my best playthrough, though):

(Yes, I've posted it before in another thread/I'm a shameless plug/attention seeker.)

That sounds amazing, Eddie! I'm envious.

---

I'm a self-taught amateur piano player, meaning I look up tutorials on YouTube and memorise the pieces from those. I only know two pieces 100%, one of which I've uploaded a video of myself playing (not my best playthrough, though):

(Yes, I've posted it before in another thread/I'm a shameless plug/attention seeker.)

I knew I'd seen a piano video by you before, had you posted it in the talent thread? (I've lost it again :() I really liked it, good job with the dynamics, and of course I like the piece itself :) Gosh, you must be patient. Maybe it's because I'm used to reading music but I tried learning from video tutorials before and just about went bonkers. My brother learns guitar from videos too. Get more vids up whenever do you a new piece! /subscribed

Yeah, it was in the talent thread. It does take a while to learn that way (but I can barely read notes, so it's by far the easiest), and I theorise that's why I've only managed to fully learn two fairly short and simple pieces. :heh: I'd love to be able to play as well as you at some point, but I don't think it'll ever be more than a simple hobby of mine.

I believe that as long as you play with feeling, skill doesn't matter :) I don't play according to my skill level at all, I grew up playing complicated-ass baroque and Mozart but now I gravitate towards simple melodies that appeal to me. Don't ever be discouraged, you're doing well so far anyway :) And thank you :hehe:

A question for you pianists! When learning a new tune -- in what way would you approach it? I learn the right hand first, then the left hand, then try play together. I'm thinking it shouldn't be like that. I dunno :(

I've just bought 2 piano books and printed out LOADS of sheet music which I want to learn.

It's a good idea to get the right hand down since it's sort of the framework of the piece, but really it's best to try to get both hands to work at the same time as soon as possible, since that is without a doubt the trickiest part.

A question for you pianists! When learning a new tune -- in what way would you approach it? I learn the right hand first, then the left hand, then try play together. I'm thinking it shouldn't be like that. I dunno :(

I've just bought 2 piano books and printed out LOADS of sheet music which I want to learn.

How I was trained: learn right hand first without any pedal, stop at a natural-sounding stopping point (usually half a page/a page). Practise. Learn left hand. Practise. Put together. Continue and repeat. Focus on the parts that you can't play well. At the end, put in any complicated ornaments/trills and dynamics, then take notice of repeats/dal segnos (D.S.).

How I learn now: listen to the piece/song until I can play it in my head - this means I don't have to consciously learn/notice how the rhythm/dynamics go. Sight-read both hands at once, usually learning a page at time. Put in dynamics at the end/don't concentrate on them too much while learning. If I don't know how a particular part goes, I watch videos on Youtube so I can see the hand movements. I should have abused this when I still had a teacher :( Anyway, I find it extremely easy to learn pieces I love.

(I have no idea about the level of your music theory knowledge, so just ask if you don't understand something I said ^^;)

Thanks Danny and Eddie! I really appreciate it :grin:.

My music theory is really improving recently so I understand you, Eddie. I'm using John Thompson's books if you've ever heard of them? I think there's four of them, I'm on the 3rd so I got the good solid basics down. In fact, my piano teacher was complaining that I was moving too fast :p I finished the 2nd book in 2 weeks...it's supposed to take a year. Haha!

I have 2 Nina Simone books and loads of printed sheet music of all the Zelda songs that I love. I'm getting through the Zelda ones at a nice pace...you're advice is very helpful for that! Nina Simone is a little more difficult but...I'll get there :)