N-Europe

Ice Hockey

Ramar

Fuck yeah, Finland just beat Sweden for the World Championship! Sweden dominated early on, but in the 3rd period our team just took off and friggin' powdered them, 6-1! What an awesome match, congrats guys! :)

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, yet another enforcer dies due to a personal issue. Must be a tough job. :(

Yep, sad news indeed. People probably don't realise how tough it is, especially when you think Boxers fight maybe 4 times a year, these guys can be doing that in a week.

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a terrible summer for Hockey and it just got worse.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=587792

A plane crash near the city of Yaroslavl in Central Russia has claimed the lives of at least 43 people, according to Russia's Emergency Situations Ministry. The majority of victims are believed to be members of the Kontinental Hockey League club, Lokomotiv.

"We have no team anymore," Vladimir N. Malkov, the team spokesman, said in a telephone interview with The New York Times. "All our starting players, and all the service people, they all burned in the crash."

I read about that earlier, absolutely shocking. It draws parallels to Manchester United's Munich disaster. I can't begin to imagine what it feels like for those involved with the team, be they family & friends, work colleagues & staff or just fans. Your whole team gone in one awful accident.

RIP

As you say JonSt a terrible summer for hockey.

• 7 months later...

I went to the EIHL playoffs in Nottingham at the weekend to cheer on the Belfast Giants.

They went out in the Semis to Cardiff :( Was a great game though. Giants were 3-1 down with 7 minutes to go in the 3rd and pulled it back to 3-3 and took the game to OT. Ended up losing on a penalty shootout. Was horrible.

Nottingham destroyed Hull in the other semi 10-3 and then went on to beat Cardiff in the final 2-0 (1 goal empty net). Great weekend of Hockey, just shame about the result. First time I've been to Nottingham too. Had a good couple of nights out on the town!

I really thought the Giants would do it after winning the EIHL league with an impressive season of being top since October. Can't win them all I guess. It's all about holding onto players now. Especially the Brits like Murphy, Peacock and Dowd.

US Playoffs have some interesting matchups! Excited.

Edited by Platty

Words cannot describe the excitement I have about the start of the playoffs, even though it's been a bad couple of years for the Penguins in the playoffs, I've really enjoyed following the majority of the teams during them. The intensity in every game is so much more than the regular season, the atmosphere inside every arena is electric. Flyers vs Penguins is definitely pick of the first round matches, two teams that detest each other. I'm on holiday from Friday, so will be able to watch almost every 1st round game!

You gave the Rangers a bit of a hiding over the weekend.

Unfortunately Rangers form has dipped once they clinched the Eastern. Hoping that blip is purely because they knew they'd taken Eastern and would finish 1st seed.

Well... First round of play off games were all pretty unexpected results.

I didn't see it but Nashville keeper made a heck of a save to keep them in the lead.

Unfortunately I can't see replay in work

Flyers get the better of Penguins and LA surprisingly get the first game against Vancouver.

Doesn't look like there's any NHL coverage on ESPN tonight..... NBA though.. heat vs Bulls is on, think i'll V+ that :)

Well... First round of play off games were all pretty unexpected results.

I didn't see it but Nashville keeper made a heck of a save to keep them in the lead.

Unfortunately I can't see replay in work

Flyers get the better of Penguins and LA surprisingly get the first game against Vancouver.

Doesn't look like there's any NHL coverage on ESPN tonight..... NBA though.. heat vs Bulls is on, think i'll V+ that :)

Pekka Rinne is a beast, if it weren't for him I reckon the Ducks would have got passed Nashville in last years play offs.

Also NHL coverage is on Premier Sports [instead of ESPN] this year isn't it? They've got a game every night.

Pekka Rinne is a beast, if it weren't for him I reckon the Ducks would have got passed Nashville in last years play offs.

Also NHL coverage is on Premier Sports [instead of ESPN] this year isn't it? They've got a game every night.

Ah I didn't know, the games I have watched, I've just watched on certain websites

Streaming Live

Premier Sports... Truth be told, not heard of it? it is just a sky package or can Virgin get it too? (although a little late for me to consider signing up)

It's a real sub-standard Sky only channel I believe. Which costs an additional £7.99 a month (on top of everything else, including Sky Sports). It's an utter bollocks deal, but that's what happens when the NHL sold the rights to some hedge fund who then just wanted the most money and not necessarily a more accessible channel/company.

Premier Sports is basically the GB version of Setanta. You may remember Setanta folded in the UK apart from Northern Ireland. They still operate in ROI and NI (Irish company you see). They have a lot of American sports including NHL playoffs. They also show a premier league game every Saturday at 3pm which is pretty good.

Premier Sports basically shows more or less the same schedule as them for England, Scotland and Wales (even on at the same times, perhaps the same feed) apart from the Premier League stuff I think...

They do show more games than ESPN ever did but you're far better getting NHL game centre, you can watch every single game. Obviously depends on how big a fan you are as to whether it's worth it.

The thing that confuses me about Game Center is when it says about out of market games. For us across the pond every game is out of market, so can you watch any game live?

The thing that confuses me about Game Center is when it says about out of market games. For us across the pond every game is out of market, so can you watch any game live?

That doesn't apply to us, you can watch every game.

Premier Sports (Sky channel 433) are showing Pittsburgh Penguins vs Philadelphia Flyers tonight at 8pm and it's FREEVIEW! Yes FREEVIEW!!

Also, the IIHF championships have started with Team GB's first game tonight. Can't seem to find any coverage of it anywhere. Anyone know?