N-Europe

Ice Hockey

Ramar

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Pens vs Islanders game on Friday wasn't so much a game as it was a royal rumble. It finished 9-3 to the Islanders but both teams combined to record 346 penalty minutes, 15 fighting majors and 21 misconducts. It's led to several Islander players being suspended. Trevor Gillies was suspended for 9 games for delivering an elbow and throwing several punches at the head of Eric Tangradi, which has left him with a concussion. Martin was suspended for 4 games for for being a complete fag and throwing punches from behind to Max Talbot. Pens Eric Godard was giving an automatic 10 game suspension for leaving the bench to join in a fight and help out a team mate.

This game was something else, the 3rd period especially, it was just insane. I don't blame Godard at all for leaving the bench to come and help out his team mates. The downside though, is we've not lost another two players to injury/suspension and we're now down 9 forwards.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Fleury has to be a good shout shout for the Hart trophy this year. When you consider how many kepy players the Penguins have lost this season, over 10 forwards at one point. He up there statistically but not even they highlight how awesome he's been.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to my first hockey match today. MK Lighting v Manchester Phoenix, Manchester won 6-5. It was really fun, some good hockey at times, then some awful defending at others.

Highlights include:

The ref awarding a goal when the puck appeared to hit the post and come straight out. I had an obstructed view on this so, it might have been clear from their angle. But never looked in to me.

Missing a puck in the face by 6 or so seats. Poor bloke further along copped it right in the chops.

Here's a rather terrible picture I took.

photo0476r.jpg

Sports results haven't gone my way today, so hopefully the Ducks can own the Kings to make me feel better.

Went to the Challenge Cup final on Wednesday. Belfast lost to Nottingham on agg. Was gutting. 3-1 down after the first leg, they started brightly and went 2-0 up with 2 cracking goals in the first period.

Then in the second Nottingham scored the scrappiest Ice Hockey goal I have ever seen. Was terrible bouncing round the goal area. Belfast couldn't then get that extra goal and lost 4-3 on agg.

Then this weekend the last in the Elite League season we go to Nottingam and smash them 6-2!!! dammit. Last games today, Looks like Belfast will be 3rd meaning a game against Coventry in the playoffs.

Speaking of the playoffs I got my ticket for Saturdays first leg :)

As we are sharing pics, here's one I took couple weeks back (not great quality):

160775446.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1300631825&Signature=G68Ds%2Fa66lAIuh3TkHC82weojKc%3D

Edited by Platty

Yeah it's the Odyssey Arena in Belfast. Pretty big. Think it can hold around 7,000 - 8,000 for the Hockey. Not really ever sold out, think I've only been to a couple this season that have been. The cup final was and I'm sure the playoff game will be.

Great night there all round, very american with subway cannon and all sorts during the breaks.

I'll dig out some more photos and post them here.

EDIT:

261100583.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1300631245&Signature=eV2yoZ5Q02Xyvhx%2BvlM%2B5tFvMUI%3D

261099785.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1300631248&Signature=KnJHUIoSMwRpoB2lbqoxjpLG%2Bt0%3D

261101522.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1300631256&Signature=n%2FjLxZ%2FCevy6MYGtPzfyiTxdPMM%3D

261105362.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1300631623&Signature=Cv55RruHpkXR1kfz1AqBVuqe78Q%3D

261097919.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1300631176&Signature=QOHWBIRFUNCVI07Qs3K2zvGF8Kk%3D

261101091.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1300631314&Signature=T1xhqlFbjEdjyNTpF4lWhFPhtCE%3D

Edited by Platty

Went to the MK Lightning game today, last game of the regulation season. They lost 4-3 after a shoot out. Was a great game, but MK should have won, threw away a 3-0 lead, then missed a sitter in the final minute.

It was fun though, definitely going to try and get to more games next season.

Went to the Elite League playoff game last night for the first leg of Belfast vs Coventry. It was a tense game. Ended 2-2. Belfast should have won by a mile though. 38 shots to 17 or something. Credit to Coventry. Biggest crowd at the arena since 2002 I hear which is good news for the sport.

2nd leg was tonight in Coventry and it ended 1-1 with no scorer in overtime. The shootout was won by Belfast with Coventry missing 3 of their pens. Now on to Nottingham and the semi finals against Cardiff!

Awesome stuff Platty.

The EPL playoff quarter finals are next week, MK are playing Basingstoke Bison's. I'm at the Arsenal when MK play at home so I'll miss the game. It'll be a tough two games for MK if they want to make the playoff weekend in Coventry.

Cool video Platty. The bloke dancing at 3 mins is a hero.

One thing I really don't like about hockey in the UK is the amount of sponsors on the jerseys. I get why they're have them, vital revenue, it's still a shame, they ruin them in my opinion.

Yeah I agree. The Giants shirt is covered. Would look so much better without all the rubbish advertisement such as "cool fm" but if helps the club survive then I can deal with it.

That bloke is a legend. They played that vid at saturdays match and everyone was cheering. Bet he loved it.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm actually a bit moist. Ducks are in the play offs!!

Almost a perfect way to get there. Final two games against the Kings, need to win one to clinch it. Honda Center, home ice, 1-0 down after 1 period. Who steps up but the man who's loved the most in Anaheim, Teemu Selanne (in what could be his last season), nets two goals to win the game and take the Ducks into the play offs. The atmosphere at the end was amazing.

Glad I rushed home from work to catch the last 10 minutes.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow close call in the Rangers game just now. Puck in the net with what appeared to be 0.01 on the clock. But the war room have cancelled it out. Tough break.

Looking forward to the Ducks game in an hour. First game of the play offs I can watch in full. Gonna be tough without Bobby Ryan, stupid stamp in the previous game, but two game suspension seems harsh.

Edit-

Wow, the Ducks were poor tonight. Very fortunate to get 3 goals with very few shots on net. Need to win the next one.

Edited by Ramar

• 4 weeks later...