NEurope
ReZourceman

Linkin Park

Maybe you should realise that arguing over musical tastes has as much merit as arguing over how bushy a bush is.

oh lord I laughed and laughed.... brilliant :p

hadnt come into this thread recently because i'm sure as hell there was going to be few people (namely rez) talking about Linkin Park, and the rest just slagging them off resulting in this really TIRED argument about how the elites think linkin is shit, and everyone arguing about subjectivity/skill/talent and all that other bullshit.

on topic, I didn't realise linkin had a new album so I might have to pick it up. Wasn't hugely fond of that last one (struck me as a bit elevator music-y) but thats just the way linkin is.... one album is so totally different from another. Which means that *most people* will at least like a song, but they may dislike the rest =P

I think that since Oxygen and The Bard are the only ones that enjoy talking about the "objective side of music", they should just talk to each other and stop annoying everyone else.

You're either completely illiterate and incapable of understanding any nuance in an argument, or you're purposefully being dense. I never said anything about there being an "objective" side in music (at least as far as music is something to be interpreted), nor do I characterise things in that wholly binary way.

Then again, people need only reference your comment about a critique being invalid in anything that pertains to subjectivity for evidence of my first point ;).

Edited by The Bard

You may not have said it above, but you've said it before. You want to argue with people about musical taste, well then do it with the only other person who appears to enjoy it.

I used to hold that opinion when I was, like, 16, way before you were even a member here, so I call bullshit. People change their minds you know, and there are certainly compelling arguments on both sides. I refer you to this post, as an example, and on which I've gotten a thanks from you no less (and which you clearly won't read since you don't give a shit about the actual specifics about a persons viewpoint), and hell, that was in 2010, so trying to claim that me and Oxigen share the same ideas is, like I said, deliberately dense.

Secondly, its rather presumptuous of you to think that because you've no interest in talking about taste, in music or otherwise, that everyone else shares this sentiment. Challenging your own assumptions and motives is never an idle pursuit.

Edited by The Bard

You're right. You are against objectivity of music. I think I confused it because I feel there's no reason to argue about something unless there is a true answer.

I think the fact that no one else has jumped into your bandwagon of discussion on critical faculty of Linkin Park, that you two remain the only ones that want to talk about it. But if someone else wants to discuss it with you, then I will accept I was wrong again.

Remember when this thread was about Linkin Park?

... Nah, neither do I.

So what benefit could I gain from challenging the notion that I like Linkin Park?

Well just to think about why you like something. Again, you might not share my opinion which is fine, but I'm bored by small talk. It isn't enough for someone to tell me that they like something, I like to be told why and how that thing interacts with the person. You learn something new about both the person you're talking to and the thing they're talking about. And maybe they'll crystallise and reveal to themselves something that might not have been immediately obvious. It's why I love writing; just the act of putting your thoughts in order helps you find interesting patterns in them.

But hey, maybe that's making demands some people aren't interested in fulfilling ;).

Well just to think about why you like something. Again, you might not share my opinion which is fine, but I'm bored by small talk. It isn't enough for someone to tell me that they like something, I like to be told why and how that thing interacts with the person. You learn something new about both the person you're talking to and the thing they're talking about. And maybe they'll crystallise and reveal to themselves something that might not have been immediately obvious. It's why I love writing; just the act of putting your thoughts in order helps you find interesting patterns in them.

But hey, maybe that's making demands some people aren't interested in fulfilling ;).

Literally from the first page that you start it, to the last (or rather most recent) it gets better and better. The characters are realistic, well defined and act as you would expect them to act....but they also have snaps of unpredictability, which just further realises them.

The story is incredible. Over 90 issues now, and its been building some plot points since the very start. The artwork is stunning. It gets better and better also. Starting with one artist upto issue 7, it then changes to Ryan Ottley, and if you take a step back from the actual story for a moment, it is interesting to witness him develop as an artist. The colouring is also near flawless throughout, with a crisp, simple and bold colourist on the first 50 issues, then the glorious colourist FCO Plascencia (who is currently colouring Batman, DC's flagship and most critically acclaimed relaunched title) which gives you an idea of the calibre of talent they have on Invincible. I think it is fair to say Ottley is the most under-appreciated talent in the industry. Then a few off issues after that (colour wise) and the recently joined John Rauch, whose slightly paler look is powered up by his gorgeous almost-painted style, and subtle use of colour, and deftly powerful use of lighting.

The book itself has everything you could possibly want from any kind of story. It is the best at what it does - super hero, but even if you're not a big fan of super hero storys it has something for everyone. It is unpredictable, action packed, romantic, dark, funny, gorey, it makes you question things, political, and it challenges your own opinions. What happens when a character you thought you loved and agreed with says something so dark or worrying, or potentially hurtful to good people.

Finally, I've touched upon it before, but the book has the most fantastic characters you will find anywhere, and some of the most evil, cool and unbelievably resilient villains you will find anywhere. Grand Regent Thragg's muscles look so dense and impenetrable on the page, that every punch you see thrown against him feels like your own fists smashing into a stone wall.

"Invincible" is the greatest story ever told.

invincible60cover.jpg

Coming soon : why I like Linkin Park.

Fucking fucking fucking amazing album.

I'd disagree it's just as meh as the last. It's like they took all the bullshit clips and voice over bits from the last album, left them out, but kept the same sound.

It's fairly safe to say that the Hybrid Theory & Meteora days of Linkin Park are well and truly gone.