NEurope
Guy

Utterly Terrible Film/Game Covers

Grunchl Josh died, which is why from Night Watch the covers are more 'grown up'. Kidby was essentially a massive discworld fan who wouldn't stop hassling Pratchett and, luckily, was quite good at doodling. AFAIK Kidby was doing alternate covers for years before Kidby kicked it. The maps that came out were all kidby, as was the discworld portfolio, and many of the spin-offs, His designs inspired a lot of the... models. I forget the name of the company.

Kirby's style was what got me into the books. They lend a charm that matches pratchett's tone, while kidby's stuff is pretty much too serious. Kirby's stuff, for example, moving pictures and soul music (you could easily argue are the 'earlier' works that you talk of) inspired the imagination.

So yeah. I have to disagree!

Yeah, I was aware he died, but I was never very keen on his art. By earlier I was mostly thinking just of the first few Rincewind books, but I guess the ones you mentioned also have a bit of the old Discworld feel. I like the seriousness, and also think it goes with the slightly darker turn the series takes, but also just find the Kirby covers kind of offputting. Most Discworld fans seem to disagree with me though.

Lol I realise I said kidby when i meant kirby throughout my post :P

Many of the older discworld fans were, like me, drawn in by the old artwork. I would say that while the newer stuff is definitely brilliant it lacks the charm and individuality that the older work had - with kidby you could recognise the art, but with kirby there's a certain sense of ambiguity, a style that could by chance be mistaken.

modernwarfarefullbox.jpg

I really hate this box art. I wasn't a fan of it since seeing it unveiled, and nothing has changed since. It's just hideously vague and generic and lacks any sense of excitement, despite the game being highly anticipated and exciting itself. It looks like it'd benefit from a splash of colour, or an impressive explosion or something.

Another reason I hate it is because of the amount of times I've seen it over the past year. It just gets a bit much seeing brown everywhere.

Another thing I hate in DVD/Film covers is when things are BADLY photoshopped into the image. Fair enough give the actors silky smooth shiny flawless skin, but then bits of the bodies have been edited beyond recognition, that's bad.

62501-large.jpg

Reese Witherspoon's head in this is clearly from somewhere else.

heart-breakers-poster-0.jpg

Something about Sigourney on this cover looks really, really off. It's disturbing. Not to mention the horrible design inclusion of that warning tape. Just a bad poster design for the film.