Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

The ground zero mosque.

ipaul

If america continues to think Islam caused 9/11 we could lose a billion people. We kicked off a storm that has spread extremism to countries WITH wmd's. Pakistan is the war, forget the rest. This needs to be sorted and fast, because this social cohesion in the uk and the US is frayed. We only need another 9/11 to change things again. And the spread of extremism is making it easier. But we must be careful not to fan the flames. If you have watched w. Listen to what colin Powell says... That is how it must be done.

I suppose it depends on how you look at it. He's backing the processes that govern the country and what each citizen is constitutionally allowed the right to do but it's not clear cut wether it's something he personally wants to happen and to be honest he's hardly going to come out and say it's a terrible idea.

It's irrelevant what he feels personally. The point is that he's protecting the people's right to build it there and thus not being a prejudiced fool.

If america continues to think Islam caused 9/11 we could lose a billion people. We kicked off a storm that has spread extremism to countries WITH wmd's. Pakistan is the war, forget the rest. This needs to be sorted and fast, because this social cohesion in the uk and the US is frayed. We only need another 9/11 to change things again. And the spread of extremism is making it easier. But we must be careful not to fan the flames. If you have watched w. Listen to what colin Powell says... That is how it must be done.

...you're not implying we're responsible for all the hatred against us are you?

UK viewers can watch the last weeks worth of episodes of Jon Stewart Daily Show on Channel4OD. He jumps straight into the subject (quite brilliantly, as always) in the episode broadcast today -

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart/4od#3111606

That was brilliant, and Jon Stewart is great. His imitation of Glenn Beck still has me in fits

Ai! I feel so silly. I just don't get all that American politics :S

That's the point though - nobody does, some Americans least of all. If they did people like Glenn Beck would be left to continue drinking themselves to death in private and Jon Stewart wouldn't have to go from light-satire comedian to lone voice of sanity on US Cable.

I'm out of the UK at the moment, but I'm just curious to know if this is still being discussed back home.

So, it's not actually a mosque? And, it's not actually at Ground Zero?

Charlie Brooker surmises the situation fairly well -

When I heard about it – in passing, in a soundbite – I figured it was a US example of the sort of inanely confrontational fantasy scheme Anjem Choudary might issue a press release about if he fancied winding up the tabloids for the 900th time this year. I was wrong. The "Ground Zero mosque" is a genuine proposal, but it's slightly less provocative than its critics' nickname makes it sound. For one thing, it's not at Ground Zero. Also, it isn't a mosque.

Wait, it gets duller. It's not being built by extremists either. Cordoba House, as it's known, is a proposed Islamic cultural centre, which, in addition to a prayer room, will include a basketball court, restaurant, and swimming pool. Its aim is to improve inter-faith relations. It'll probably also have comfy chairs and people who smile at you when you walk in, the monsters.

To get to the Cordoba Centre from Ground Zero, you'd have to walk in the opposite direction for two blocks, before turning a corner and walking a bit more. The journey should take roughly two minutes, or possibly slightly longer if you're heading an angry mob who can't hear your directions over the sound of their own enraged bellowing.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2010/aug/23/charlie-brooker-ground-zero-mosque