NEurope
Dan_Dare

Comic Costumes

We've talked a bit on costumes today, so what are your favorites?

It's fairly new but I really, really like Cyclops' latest.

X-men_Origins_Cyclops_t607.jpg

As an update of Cassaday's Astonishing design, it's a great continuation. It's a great nod to his original design and colours and it just speaks volumes on his character; the tight, bounding shape and the covered face convey both his role as action hero and restrained individual while bringing focus to what really matters: The visor. Icon and weapon in one it's the defining piece of the costume. Brilliant.

Dare Devil

Daredevil-09.jpg

I think it speaks volumes that DD has only ever received one significant redesign ever. That's pretty impressive. It captures so much character so flawlessly- the menace, the grace and the silhouette are just fantastic. And the coupe de grace is the lack of eyeholes that makes it really distinct (though not all artists follow this exactly, which is a shame)

Green Lantern

hal_jordan___green_lantern_by_danielgoettig.jpg

Brilliant. The use of colour (THAT green) is fantastic, the lines are brilliant and it follows a great path between outfit and uniform- looking slightly alien too. And a domino mask! Everyone loves a domino mask just because the idea that they hide your identity from your closest friends and allies is hilarious.

Spawn_Classic.jpg

Everything about his getup rocked. Especially how it was alive, because it looked it. I used to draw Spawn all the time.

I remember when Todd McFarlane wasn't a tool.

Yeah, I was going to rephrase that as "I remember when I didn't know Todd McFarlane was a tool."

Ive always liked black suit Spider-Man:

backinblack.jpg

Also, I like this image of comic Green Arrow wearing the Smallville version of his costume:

1063__400x600_ga-cover-final.jpg

Ew, Spawn's is awful. (from my perspective. It's not aged well.)

Yes with Daredevil. Especially by Maleev. I loved in the issue where he turns up at the guy who outed his identity to the press' house, and you see glowing red eyes and the "DD" on his chest crystal clear, and the rest is muted due to the dark. MMM.

I also enjoy Cyclops'. Not sure if more than Astonishing. The shoulder ribbing throws me off a bit, even if I quite like it (and obviously it alludes to like..military uniforms).

Some others:

frost_emma_prin.jpg

In the context of the rest of Morrison/Quitely's redesigned X-Men uniforms, this was brilliant, and summed up the characters place perfectly. Also worth note is the variant she wears, a completely inverted version, which just a floating X over her chest and nothing else.

Her current one is fine, and suits her position as leader, but I miss this Emma. The cape one worked well only with Whedon doing something decent with the character.

And cliched/boring as it may be, I think Spider-Man has one of the best costume. I'm not sure if it's a case of "We've had it for so long..", but it's one of the only costumes that can successfully work in both light-hearted stories, and creepy, dark stories. Of course, those eyes, and way he moves helps a lot with that.

But I've never understood the love for the black costume, as it loses so many of the great elements from the normal costume. And the argument that it's darker doesn't really wash with me, as I mentioned above.

I also did like Ben Reilly/Spider-Girl's costume. And the fact that when it was given to Spider-Girl, it was one of the few major female superhero costumes not to be adapted to be more feminine, or somehow display sexuality and femininity. That's a major point, if we were talking about things like that. But anyway.

4_AMAZING_SPIDER_MAN_631.jpg

440px-Reilly_head.jpg

Ben Reilly when he was Spidey^

238295-5687-spider-girl_super.gif

Spider-Girl

The Eradicator

eradicator1.jpg&t=1

Cos it ditches the silly red pants and he wears yellow shades, oh yeah baby.

I'm a huge fan of the black Spider-Man outfit- I think it's one of...hell knows..2, 3? costumes where the re-design is as memorable and iconic as the original. It's way simpler but that high contrast look really captures something. The fact that they occasionally go back to it now and again is testament to its quality.

oh and speaking of Spider-Girl and a non-slut sexy outfit, you can't beat Spider-Woman (this is complicated!)

108_SPIDER_WOMAN_7.jpg

You also can't beat a good re imagining. Commie Superman is my favorite.

supermanred1.jpeg

Not ultimate universe, ultimate the word. (Damn Marvel making it awkward to call something Ultimate!)

Some of the comics costumes that I like

192995192588supermanlar.jpg

batman-has-a-new-costume-20100810105741667.jpg

Catwoman_008.jpg

batwoman1.jpg

OeP7hl.jpg

backinblack.jpg

Donna_Troy_is_Wonder_Woman_by_minarho1.jpg

154910-88063-dark-phoenix_super.jpg

1129130-zata_cv1_02_large.jpg

Edited by Dante

I have to say that Catwoman's modern costume is excellent. One of those costumes that feels like they've finally found the definitive costume for the character, after years of knocking about in lesser ones. It's just perfect. Her 90's long-hair one being second, just cause the hair works so well with it.

Also: The Eradicator is AWFUL. :o

DareDevil and Green Lantern are a few of my favourites as well. There's also something truly awesome about Iron Man's suit:

ironman74.jpg

Just the way it has so many variations that actually reflect its abilities. The same goes for how the Spider-Man costume, a classic in itself, has a lot of variations over the same, iconic theme. My favourite there has to be the black suit, though.

spider-man-big-time-Spidermanramospromob.jpg

Whoa, what incarnation of Spider-Man is that?

Edited by Dannyboy-the-Dane

Whoa, what incarnation of Spider-Man is that?

Upcoming, he's getting a few temporary new costumes.

To expand a bit, Peter will have hax money, so it likely has some kind of purpose. These issues won't be out for just over 3 months however, so we have no idea what its purpose is yet. :D

Incidentally, the writer who wrote this costume into continuity saw my model of it, and tweeted it. [/Claim to win]

Neon_Spider_Man_Heroclix_2nd_by_ReZourceman.jpg

Neon_Green_Spider_Man_Heroclix_by_ReZourceman.jpg

bmbv2_cv1.jpg

batman_beyond-show.jpg

Since we've been talking about him. If some dude chased me in this costume I'd be pretty fucking terrified. I love the claws. He looks like the devil.

and Batwoman?

resized_Batwoman_Question_Adam_Hughes.jpg

i like that her costume is base on Batman Beyond version.

I'll be honest, I think Batwoman is utterly retarded. Get your own Goddamn animal symbol. I also think Batgirl is dumb.