N-Europe

Sat Navs

Ramar

Thinking of buying one for my motor, got a few larger than usual trips planned later in the month so it'll come in rather handy.

I've been looking at this Navman at Argos, seems a fairly decent price.

Just after a few opinions, whats a good brand etc.

Edited by Ramar

I definitely prefer garmins, apart from the fact I got one myself I've never been taken the wrong way, plus there's a handy option of not being given a u-turn, if you go the wrong way it will re-direct you, I think only once I took a wrong turn and couldn't do anything but reverse back out (I took the wrong exit off the motorway because even with my satnav being as good as it is I don't pay attention to it).

My ex had a tomtom which was just as good too.

I can't fault my TomTom. Sure, it's taken me the wrong way once or twice (E.g. it told me to turn into a farmers field, complete with closed gate), but if that happens it's just a case of carry on down the road until it finds another route. That was also my old TomTom, before I learned to keep the maps up to date, so it could have been my fault.

One handy thing I like about the TomTom is that it can be updated by the users to show new road layouts quicker. Any changes have to be approved by TomTom, so people can't just make shit up. I'm guessing other brands have this feature as well though.

I think all SatNavs are about equal to be honest. They'll all get you where you want to go and they'll all make a cock up once in a while. I personally reckon they're all based off the same map data anyway. Just keep the one you have up to date and I'm sure it'll serve you well.

I thought about buying a sat nav a while ago but ended up not doing it. No major reason but I just thought to myself I actually didn't really need one. I quite enjoy map reading (geek) and always get to my destinations by using a map with no problems at all so I thought it would just be a waste of money. I tend to think I learn more routes and remember them by reading maps too.

Also, I've been in friends cars with sat navs and it just annoys the hell at of me.

I went for the 'entry' level TomTom in the end. I tried to get one cheap at Asda but they were sold out, so I went to a retail park and tested a few out and ended liking the TomTom more. (It actually found the postcode I typed in). Bit pricey though £99 but it'll come in handy later in the month and hopefully for the forseeable future.

Hopefully give it a small test tomorrow.