N-Europe

Laptop not turning on!

Gizmo

Went to turn my laptop on last night. LED on the power button came on I could hear the fan start to turn but nothing happened. Nothing appeared on screen, no sound came from the speakers. The LED just stays on and nothing happens.

I've tried it with the power supply and battery, just the battery, and just the power supply. No dice.

Yesterday it got quite a heavy bash on the keyboard (my friend dropped the top of his guitar onto it), and though it continued to work fine as it was until I turned it off, it hasn't been able to boot up since. Seems to me like a motherboard problem? I'm trying to work it out with Dell Support, but they are useless, so I figured I'd post it on here and see what you guys had to say about it aswell. It should be in warranty I think so I should be able to get it repaired, but if theres an easier solution to be found in the wisdom of N-E I'm all ears :awesome:

Hmmm I've had a similar problem and it was my RAM.

If you have more than one stick of RAM take both out and try each stick separately (in slot 1 assuming they're labeled) and see if a single stick works. If so, you know that the other stick(s) are dead, if you have more than 2, try them in combinations to see which ones work and what are ones are dead.

If none of them work, perhaps see if a friend will allow you to temporarily cannibalize their laptop to see if the problem truly is RAM or not. No sense in replacing the wrong parts.

To be honest, it can be a great number of things. Damaged mobo, or processor. It could have worked fine after the bump it got, then after the system cooled down after being switched off - it would develop the fault (a possible crack in the mobo).

It depends if you are confident about stripping down a laptop. Reseating the processor and a quick check of the internals will perhaps help.

To be honest, it can be a great number of things. Damaged mobo, or processor. It could have worked fine after the bump it got, then after the system cooled down after being switched off - it would develop the fault (a possible crack in the mobo).

It depends if you are confident about stripping down a laptop. Reseating the processor and a quick check of the internals will perhaps help.

I agree with this. If you've dropped it its likely that a connection has been damaged, or pulled off the motherboard as these can be quite fragile..