Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Revolution info got most of you upset

BigTac

$99 is ridiculous, it would give out the message that people think it can't be that good because its so cheap and will favour 360 and PS3
The DS does FANTASTIC at £99, which would probably be the price of the Rev if it's $99,

Maybe Nintendo are looking at the Rev as being a home console equivalent of the DS, but ALOT more advanced!

Broadway should do pretty well, especially if it's a dual-core 1+ GHz IBM Gekko - I'm worried about the GPU. The Xbox 360 uses the Radeon X1800XT, and the PlayStation 3 will use a GeForce 7800GTX, the highest end graphics chips there are today. If they double the Flipper like the rumours say it will be like the Radeon 9700 which was released in 2002, it'll be much weaker.

Trust me on this one though - the Revolution will use hardware that resembles the GameCube exactly, only produced more cheaply. This means that a €99 price point is very possible.

Most likely, the price'll be in the $149-area. The price will only negatively affect it's credibility when it's beneath $50. I don't know anyone (literally, anyone) who'll be so vague and naive as to judge a console solely by it's price tag: "value for money"-thinking is quite the trend :)

Broadway should do pretty well, especially if it's a dual-core 1+ GHz IBM Gekko - I'm worried about the GPU. The Xbox 360 uses the Radeon X1800XT, and the PlayStation 3 will use a GeForce 7800GTX, the highest end graphics chips there are today. If they double the Flipper like the rumours say it will be like the Radeon 9700 which was released in 2002, it'll be much weaker.

Trust me on this one though - the Revolution will use hardware that resembles the GameCube exactly, only produced more cheaply. This means that a €99 price point is very possible.

I doubt they'll just double flipper 4 to 8 pipelines?... at least 16 pipelines i'd say, Ati 9700 is not enough and relaunch it again redesigned doesn't make much sense, it has to be a existing GPU being manufactured right now, also a GPU with 1T-SRAM may perform faster even if the ram acts slower (in MHz)now... I'd love to see optimizations in N64 games with a ATi graphics card, features like truform :yay:

the diference in Mario 64 could be like this (out-of-the-box):

(hint: look at the edges)

mario64notruform28mn.jpg

mario64truform25nj.jpg

(before and after)

And in Zelda...

ootnotruform2tl.jpg

oottruform5ma.jpg

(before and after)

the technique is not perfect all the time, look at link's sword with truform for example, looks fat, so a optimication file for each game may be done, but it's easy and painless for nintendo )and most of the times, even if not optimized, looks significantly better.

And no, you can't do this things I shown in a PC with a Ati card, with Truform enabled; it's just a demonstration of what is possible (and nintendo should do)

I kept the 640x480 resolution because reverting them to 320x240 like they ran on N64 would disguise the poligons and thus hide de improvements, als Revolution is going to run them at 640x480p so...

I doubt they're going to superpower the Flipper design all that much because they haven't got very much space to work on (88 MB 1T-SRAM), but yeah, the Rev GPU should be more powerful than a double Flipper.
the specs are not final, I wouldn't be surprised if they are indeed working with flipper in the dev packs.

It'd make sense for the GPU to come with embedded RAM like 64 MB or up, it's just that it wasn't revealed yet, lets wait shall we? :)

also it's not half bad 88 MB... Xbox had 64 MB and wasted 16 MB of it just to do a Z-buffer, where the GC didn't... so they have space to double the quality of Xbox textures.

still... if it is indeed 88 MB and not result of beta dev kits... I hope nintendo is pressured by developers to upgrade it. (aswell as the GPU if it's unpowered.