NEurope
Kirkatronics

NHS Pays Fat People

Introduce Fat Camps for the overweight nation, and if a certain percentage of weight is not lost each week, send the Fats to 'The Way of The Warrior' challenge, Raven CBBC style, but make the obstacles lethal. That would be an incentive to survive, however, if they make it through that, put them on a giant treadmill that trails off over a cliff, with added spikes. If they get close to the controls of the 'mill in order to turn it off, Dale Winton and Noel Edmonds grin at them and up the speed, guaranteeing fatality.

Obviously they'd take it in turns in a competition to see who can make the person lose the most blood, and who manages to get a Fat to pull the most ridiculous fatty face of anger and desperation. Simon Cowell judges the slow-mo clip of the action in order to award bonus points in the event of an insane overkill.

If it wouldn't work for you then they wouldn't pay you. Even if it doesn't work for you, it may for someone else.

On your second point; being overweight is one of those things where the larger effects are built up over the long term (diabetes, heart conditions, arthritis, etc).

Yeah but if it makes no difference to you, and you therefore don't lose weight, they won't pay you anything. So I guess it's not such a financially silly idea after all.

Although I agree with the reasoning I can't see this happening. It's just unethical.

Yeah, fair do's. I think i am just being Mr Negative and not sure how effective it would actually be! lol.

This isn't cool. What happens if I'm anorexic. Do they pay me money to get fat?

What if I'm an alcoholic (okay, this one might be true) do they pay me to stop?

This isn't their job, and we should stop attempting to subsidise certain lifestyles

If you're anorexic the NHS can fund much of the treatmen, similar to extreme cases of obesity where the medical care called into debate in the OP comes into play. Besides, anorexia is a psychological issue and 'just eat more' is an incredibly narrow answer to a complex problem. Psychiatric help is available on the NHS. So yes, in a sense, the NHS pays for anorexics to get better. The NHS also offers drug treatments and again counselling for alcohol abusers, again for free.

This is precisely what the NHS is here for -- to help people (i.e. the nation's workforce/source of income) get better. Essentially, if an incentive scheme would actually work for some people, then it saves the NHS money in the long run as well as, theoretically, helping to maintain a longer-living workforce who will pay more taxes.

I don't really see how this subsidises any negative lifestyle in anyway whatsoever, either. How do you see that?