N-Europe

EZA Game Sleuth (GT Pop Fiction)

It IS super easy - and that's coming from Kid Rummy, I haven't even played it in years. However, there's ways to challenge yourself, and looking back as an older gamer with more understanding now - I think that's quite intriguing. Other than the difficulty, almost everything else about the game was lovely - graphics, audio, presentation, style, it was super duper cutesy but really rolled with it. Story was a bit shit, but yeah...quite a game. Did some interesting mixups compared to Yoshi's Island, but eh. I should really dig it out at some point(sadly when I was a kid it was my brother's game, and I couldn't play it without his permission because, frankly, he used to be a cunt).

Thanks for that little review....especially enjoyed the use of the C word at the end not often you see that in a review :heh:

Anyway this is now on my list of games to play for Extra Life...even thinking of tying it to sponsors, everytime someone donates $10 or something means I have to play through the game again as a different coloured Yoshi. Could mean going through 8 playthroughs in the space of 24 hours urgh....

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, sorry about the c bomb! Anyway, what happens if/when you die! Do you start all over again? I'll actually give a gameplay breakdown below to give you more of an idea of how the game works, tho it's obvs spoilerish;

My description was actually flawed - Wiki does it better. Espesh on the scoring front.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoshi's_Story#Gameplay

The way the game worked, too, was interesting. You had I think...6 worlds. You only had to complete one stage from each world to progress - however after world 1 not all stages would be unlocked. To unlock more and more in the next world, you had to collect the special super happy hearts. To unlock a stage in trial mode, you need to have cleared it in Story mode.

Each story mode run set's a specific 'lucky fruit'. If I recall the fruits available are apples, bananas, grapes, watermelons, and the more special/unique melon. The lucky fruit gets its own bonus score, whereas each yoshi has a favourite fruit(grapes for blues, melon for green, apple for pink+red, banana for yellow). Every Yoshi likes melons, and eating the same fruit consecutively gave a bonus. I believe to get a top score in a level, you had to eat all 30 melons. There are only 30 melons, and I'm sure you are able to miss them too. I think it was disadvantageous to your score(or possibly more so) to play as the Yoshi who shared favourite/lucky fruit. I can't recall the points distro.

You finish any stage just like that by eating 30 fruits, so you can finish very fast. 6 fruits in a row gave a special bonus heart that gives temp invincibility.

When it came to enemies/eggs - each Yoshi again has favourite colours. Both for jumping on/killing, and for eating into an egg. I think it was only Shyguys who had a colour that mattered - and you could change their colour by groundpounding, so could cycle to a favourite colour for your score etc. When you died, you lost that Yoshi/colour. Your 'lives' were essentially those Yoshis you had. Of course, you could find black/white Yoshis, but again you die you lost him/her, and could only get that one back by finding another black/white egg(I think they only existed on certain stages, could be wrong).

It really is an intriguing game to me now in that respect. It was...essentially as easy or as hard as you wanted to make it. It had a lot of stuff hidden around, too. In fact - only just from reading up it reminded me that Yoshi could 'sniff' for secrets.

Edited by Rummy

Haha, sorry about the c bomb! Anyway, what happens if/when you die! Do you start all over again? I'll actually give a gameplay breakdown below to give you more of an idea of how the game works, tho it's obvs spoilerish;

My description was actually flawed - Wiki does it better. Espesh on the scoring front.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoshi's_Story#Gameplay

The way the game worked, too, was interesting. You had I think...6 worlds. You only had to complete one stage from each world to progress - however after world 1 not all stages would be unlocked. To unlock more and more in the next world, you had to collect the special super happy hearts. To unlock a stage in trial mode, you need to have cleared it in Story mode.

Each story mode run set's a specific 'lucky fruit'. If I recall the fruits available are apples, bananas, grapes, watermelons, and the more special/unique melon. The lucky fruit gets its own bonus score, whereas each yoshi has a favourite fruit(grapes for blues, melon for green, apple for pink+red, banana for yellow). Every Yoshi likes melons, and eating the same fruit consecutively gave a bonus. I believe to get a top score in a level, you had to eat all 30 melons. There are only 30 melons, and I'm sure you are able to miss them too. I think it was disadvantageous to your score(or possibly more so) to play as the Yoshi who shared favourite/lucky fruit. I can't recall the points distro.

You finish any stage just like that by eating 30 fruits, so you can finish very fast. 6 fruits in a row gave a special bonus heart that gives temp invincibility.

When it came to enemies/eggs - each Yoshi again has favourite colours. Both for jumping on/killing, and for eating into an egg. I think it was only Shyguys who had a colour that mattered - and you could change their colour by groundpounding, so could cycle to a favourite colour for your score etc. When you died, you lost that Yoshi/colour. Your 'lives' were essentially those Yoshis you had. Of course, you could find black/white Yoshis, but again you die you lost him/her, and could only get that one back by finding another black/white egg(I think they only existed on certain stages, could be wrong).

It really is an intriguing game to me now in that respect. It was...essentially as easy or as hard as you wanted to make it. It had a lot of stuff hidden around, too. In fact - only just from reading up it reminded me that Yoshi could 'sniff' for secrets.

Hmmmm ok. It's completely different to what I expected. Part of me wonders if I should experiment before hand? Or is a completely new run at the game the way to do it live.

• 2 years later...