N-Europe

Free Software for converting .mkv to DivX .avi and subs?

Rummy

Very specific title, for a very specific question. I've got alot of .mkv files that I'd like to split out into a DivX(or of course, XviD) and a subtitle file if possible. IS this possible? Will there be big size differences?

Also, for post seperation, I'm just wondering(and I think it unlikely) if there's any way I could actually combine the subs into the actual video, if that makes sense. Not as a container. I don't know alot about this, and all my googling sends me in circles to some non-free software and some stuff that I didn't quite get...

OK thanks, I'll look into those. Mainly I'm trying to get the .mkv files into a format my Xbox would play, or even that my DivX player will play too. I think the files are such a high quality that my computer slightly struggles playing them unless I close nearly everything that's running, was hoping that wouldn't be the case with the 360 or dvd player.

I'm still a bit lost, mainly cos I keep finding different suggested apps for my purpose. However, here's another question(as I don't really know how .mkv works entirely) is there any easy way to just strip it into its original components in their original forms, or is that information somehow clouded in the .mkv encoding? Basically, I think my source files were exactly what I wanted, I just need to get the subs out seperated and turned into a .srt file, along the with the original video w/audio.

Edited by Rummy

If the subs are hardcoded you won't be able to extract them into a different file because they are essentially part of the movie. Generally subs don't have to be hardcoded though, so if you can disable them, they are not and in that case can be extracted. The audio can be extracted in any case.

.mkv files are usually used to encode HD material so a DVD player won't play it either unless you reencode it in a lower resolution. About the X-360 I have no idea.

However, if your computer struggles to play .mkv it could also be a software issue to some extent. Try out Media Player Classic Home Cinema, it's usually a very fast and reliable player. There are also some dedicated .mkv players but I can't name any of them. But I would look into that first, could save you a lot of time and trouble.

Ok, I tried it on two diff win XP laptops, though both was in VLC(for the playback this is). I might try out MPCHC and see how it goes then, I've heard it's got some aspects of using more GPU processing than CPU, or something.

The subs weren't hardcoded, I'm fairly sure they're just put in with the .mkv, but the audio/video is real high quality it seems, I wanted to somehow convert it either into just the video and a .srt file(cos my dvd player or 360 can use them anyway, I think) or make a new .avi with them hardcoded.

Essentially to play it on my 360 or DVD player, I'm going to have to transcode though, the sound stream is apparently too good for the 360 as well. Dammit I wish I didn't download such a high quality bunch of vids! Thanks for your advice though Konfucious, it's been quite helpful!

--------------------------------------------------

EDIT:So it seems your suggestion of MPCHC was quite helpful, it doesn't struggle at all with the picture as I've been noticing in VLC(quite annoying it'll hang or scramble, especially at good bits(ie more action more going on) and lose subtitling too), but then within about 3 minutes MPCHC went out of sync with subs and sound, which is hard for me to deal with. I'm gonna keep looking for good mkv players though, and just give up on transcoding. If I get a good player I'll be fine to just VGA my TV into a laptop/pc.

Edited by Rummy
Automerged Doublepost

Try getting the Combined Community Codec Pack, and using Zoom Player that comes with the bundle. It happily plays anything for me, and is a lot more modern and shiny than Media Player Classic.

Edit: Actually it seems it's no longer part of that pack, but you can get it here. And if I were you I'd get the CCCP anyway - some more codecs might make things run more smoothly.

Edited by Supergrunch

Same here, it's great, so simple and easy on the resources, never fails to play anything and displays softsubs nicely. Zoom player is a bit unstable IMO. But if these .mkv files are 720p or more then no matter what player you've got, an old system will lag and freeze up trying to play them.