N-Europe

ReZourceman's 2009 Cinema Movie Review Event

ReZourceman

Right, think I'll do mine. Shouldn't take too long as I didn't see many movies at all this year :(

Slumdog Millionaire

The very definition of "Overhyped". It was alright but not the movie I wanted to see. As someone else said, too much destiny crap and cheesiness. I really don't mind cheesy films as long as they're aware of it but I think this thought it was something more. I was impressed by Dev but only in comparison to his performance on Skins. It wasn't as stand out as it was made out to be. I thought the millionaire question plot integration with his life story was going to be a bit cleverer than it ended up being. I thought that part was a great idea that they could have done more with. A bit too long.

6.5/10

Watchmen

As a fan of the comic, (or 'graphic novel' if you must) I loved this. Such a perfect film recreation of a book. There were SO many shots that I just instantly recognised and I completely geeked out over it. I can see why he changed the ending but I am NOT a fan of the film version. I did get the feeling though that if you hadn't read the comic then you could be a bit confused about some of the plot. I think it jumped about all over the place which certainly confused my non-geek mate a little. That said, he still enjoyed it.

8.5/10

Half Blood Prince

Alright. Big fan of the books and I'm rarely a fan of movie versions of any book so it was never going to be amazing in my eyes. I don't see the need to make films of perfectly good novels as my imagination is way better than anything than they can produce on screen. Obviously there are a few exceptions but this wasn't one of them. That said, as Rez mentioned, Malfoy was excellent and is the clear stand out in the cast. He's grown the most as an actor by far and that's been interesting to follow.

5/10

Moon

I wanted to like this SO much and I did but... it felt about an hour longer than it actually was. Really seemed to drag, could have been just how I was feeling on the day so I'd be willing to give it another chance. It felt like the whole film existed for the twists and turns but I seemed to 'get' everything right near the beginning and spent the entire film waiting to be surprised which... I wasn't AT all.

6.5/10

Star Trek

Great! Excellent and clever reboot. Very much enjoyed it. God bless JJ Abrams.

9/10

Bruno

Funny. Not as clever as Borat though and I'd seen most of the best 'punchlines' from the trailer. I think it relied a little too much on the crude LOL COCKS, GAYS, NAKED MEN, AND BITCHINESS gags though. Sacha Baron Cohen is funniest when he's doing the clever subversive shit.

6/10

Up

Stunningly beautiful. Very moving. Very funny. Pixar at their best.

9/10

Absolutely adored this film. I know the plot's a little obvious and the villain is a little over the top but I just loved every single second. Can't wait for the dvd release.

9.5/10

I think I've seen a few more than that but I just went by what others have on their lists to jog my memory. It wouldn't have been anything stand out. Definitely saw some absolutely atrocious films around the time of Up because I kept getting pissed off that my friends wouldn't go see Up but wanted to see utter shit. Also got a bit bored of writing half way through!

I can't dredge through the Last film thread, so here's my list, and the ratings I gave each on my Listal of every film I've ever seen.

The September Issue

4/5

Modern Love Is Automatic

4/5

The Box

3.5/5

Watchmen

3.5/5

Lesbian Vampire Killers

1.5/5

17 Again

4/5

Star Trek

4.5/5

My Sister's Keeper

3/5

X-Men Origins: Wolverine

2/5

Coco Before Chanel

2.5/5

Inglourious Basterds

5/5

G.I. Joe: The Rise Of Cobra

2/5

Up

5/5

Harry Potter + The Half-Blood Prince

2.5/5

Moon

5/5

Broken Embraces

4.5/5

Hannah Montana: The Movie

2/5

The Wrestler

5/5

Rachel Getting Married

4.5/5

Twilight: New Moon

1.5/5

4.5/5

The Spirit

2/5

Surveillance

3/5

Give or take. My listal goes on release date anywhere in the world. Surveillance for example is listed as 08, but came out in March 09 here.

Solo's List (in order)

9/10

The Hurt Locker

Slumdog Millionaire

The Curious Case of Benjamin button

District 9

(500) days of summer

Up

The Wrestler

Away we go

8/10

Watchmen