NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
flameboy

Listen Up! The final episode...

Those who are interested its the last episode of Listen Up! the show formally known as 1up Yours. For me their influence on the gaming industry and how seriously they took podcasts and led to its uprising as a to be noticed platform for gaming discussion cannot be undermined. I spent many a saturday doing Uni work listening to them and now spend my journeys to work.

For me this is finally the death of the 1up.com, EGM, Ziff Davies dynasty. All the people that made this company what they are have left (except for Jeremy Parish)

The show will go on but for me now Garnett Lee and John Davison have both moved on there is no way its going to be the same thing....like Saved by the Bell: The New Class trying desperately to match its predesscor but sadly coming up short.

http://www.1up.com/boards/posts/list/44648.page

http://kotaku.com/5378439/in-an-end-of-an-era-listen-up-podcast-bids-its-host-farewell

Totally agree. Gutted to be honest as the podcast has been weekly thing for me now for 2 years or so. I was gutted at the end of 1UP Yours but over it pretty quickly when Listen UP was practically the same thing with the same people. But now I see no point in it carrying on with it.

Think I'll stick to the Giant Bombcast, which I also regularly enjoy. But yeah, felt gutted last night seeing my newly downloaded podcast say it was basically the last one.

Yeah it is gutting...giantbombcast is awesome...also love listening to bitmob and playerone podcast not sure what is going to replace this though...no more WEEKEND CONFIRMED :( I put my facebook status as it last night in honour of the show!

Meh, 1up podcasts died with GFW Radio and Shawn Elliot. These days, genuinely intelligent, insightful and humourous banter is pretty rare, mostle due to the majority of the game journo collective being utter exhibitions autism-spectrum disorders. Tards, whose opinions are utterly unworthy of the virtual real-estate they occupy. Recently there has been this notion that the enthusiast press for games have the highest correlation of review score to product sales, which I can think of as only a bad thing. The point of a critic isn't to validate and reflect the average gamers fanboyism and flag waving platform patriotism, it's to inform public opinion and make it better.

The only podcasts I really look forward to these days are Out of the Game and A Life Well Wasted. Rebel FM is also pretty entertaining as they're fairly typical game nerd types with a sense of self awareness.

I was really gutted when I saw Garnet tweet about him changing job. I've only been listening to the crew for a year, but this past year is when I've started uni. So my most stressful times, doing work at 4am, having deadlines, etc, have been to the sweet tune of the podcast. I used to be annoyed that it was only on a Friday and so went into the back catalogue to settle down with work. Such a shame...

But yeah, I will just have to settle with other podcasts, from PA, Ricky Gervais, A Life Well Wasted, Kotaku and maybe pick up a few more. Anyone recommend any based on my love for Listen Up!?

I was really gutted when I saw Garnet tweet about him changing job. I've only been listening to the crew for a year, but this past year is when I've started uni. So my most stressful times, doing work at 4am, having deadlines, etc, have been to the sweet tune of the podcast. I used to be annoyed that it was only on a Friday and so went into the back catalogue to settle down with work. Such a shame...

But yeah, I will just have to settle with other podcasts, from PA, Ricky Gervais, A Life Well Wasted, Kotaku and maybe pick up a few more. Anyone recommend any based on my love for Listen Up!?

Rebel FM

Joystiq

Giantbombcast

Cagcast

Wtf, I stop listing for about a month and this happens? What are John and Garnett doing now? Kinda sad Davis will have to pick up from this, he's a cool guy.

Anyway, I currently only listen to Podtoid, HAWPodcasting and GoNintendo. Stopped Listen Up and Giantbombcast as 5 podcasts are too much.

Wtf, I stop listing for about a month and this happens? What are John and Garnett doing now? Kinda sad Davis will have to pick up from this, he's a cool guy.

Anyway, I currently only listen to Podtoid, HAWPodcasting and GoNintendo. Stopped Listen Up and Giantbombcast as 5 podcasts are too much.

Garnett is going to work at Shacknews and John has sold What they play to IGN and gone to work for Game Pro magazine and online.

I agree listening to too many podcasts is too much. I don't get through all of my favourites every week...but Listen Up despite not being as good as the 1up Yours and GFW glory days it was still the one podcast I listened to every week. At 1up their other podcast is awful imho.

I am slightly glad to get back hours per week now. I'll still have my podcast each week and now I'll have some spare time at last!

Now I'll probably have some time to actually play some games :) I'm just listening to the last episode right now.

I am slightly glad to get back hours per week now. I'll still have my podcast each week and now I'll have some spare time at last!

Now I'll probably have some time to actually play some games :) I'm just listening to the last episode right now.

It's a real tear jerker!

It's a real tear jerker!

Lol, I imagine Garnett cried like a baby.

Anyone recommend any based on my love for Listen Up!?

Idle Thumbs. For my money it's easily the best gaming podcast since GFW wrapped up, although you'd have to jump in at the beginning to get the most out of the various in-jokes.

Idle Thumbs. For my money it's easily the best gaming podcast since GFW wrapped up, although you'd have to jump in at the beginning to get the most out of the various in-jokes.

A GFW fan. Most excellent.

Have you guys listened to the new version yet, 4 Guys 1UP? I hadnt noticed that it was up as I had to redo my Podcast subscriptions when I formatted.

Just wanted to see if its any good or not, downloading it now.

Have you guys listened to the new version yet, 4 Guys 1UP? I hadnt noticed that it was up as I had to redo my Podcast subscriptions when I formatted.

Just wanted to see if its any good or not, downloading it now.

They've only done one episode so far due to being away last week, its not a patch on 1up Yours/Listen Up. I am really missing that new podcast come friday night/saturday morning...

Sign in to follow this