N-Europe

Guitar

Gizmo

• 9 months later...

Ah, here it is. The guitar thread.

Quick questions:

What are good exercises to stretch my fingers? My little finger is so short, it's effing annoying.

And how should I start learning? I recently began to practice Hysteria by Muse...For some it might be an easy song, for me - the ultimate beginner - it's hard to learn. I don't even bother with the solo.

Muse - Hysteria Tabs

The main riff troubles me. I can't seem to get my fingers into a comfortable position when putting them on the frets. They just feel stiff and, well, uncomfortable.

Hi drahkon, how long have you been playing? Just starting out?

In regard to learning, trying to play along some of your fav tunes is a great way. Just play what you can, and try to nail the rhythm and the general feel of the song. As for the Hysteria main riff, you can start with just two strings:

D---14

A---12

That's the basic power chord. Never mind the muted xs for now...You can also play just a single note, if your fingers will get tired. And yes, they do feel quite stiff at first. But no worries, flexibility comes just by playing...I don't think you have to worry about technical exercises at this point, as they can be pretty boring too. Just experiment jamming along some tunes and your stiffness will start to vanish automatically...

Right, forgot to ask: what kind of guitar are you using? Electric, acoustic, classical? Heavy or light strings?

Hi drahkon, how long have you been playing? Just starting out?

Hey there :p

Well, I have my electric guitar for about 2 months but I haven't been playing regularly. Only if I've been in the mood.

I also have an acoustic guitar which I've also only played a few times.

Heavy or light strings?

No idea. I just bought the guitar after internet research and recommendation by one of the guys in a music store.

Currently I don't have much time to really get into playing, learning theory and stuff. But when I do I'd like to be ready and know what I can do to improve learning.

Ok. You probably have medium or light strings in your ele, as opposed to the heavier ones in the acoustic, right? In other words, ele is easier to play...

Well the best thing learning-wise is to attend a beginners' guitar class. A teacher will get you started and show all the basics you need...Should you not have the money or interest, you can always self-study through the internet as well. Might not be so convenient though...

dr4hkon, you don't need to use you're little finger at all in the main riff.. i'm pretty sure the only note you may need you're pinky for is the high 'A' in the solo?? which isn't a huge stretch anyway.

I'd recommend, you learn to play it properly from the off. Practice makes perfect, so why practice playing something wrong??

When your playing the octaves:

G|--14--

D|-- x --

A|--12--

Use your index and either your middle finger or third finger to fret the notes. Then to get the muted D string rest either (or both) of the fretting fingers gently against the string.

Theres then ample time then to play the parts between the octaves using your index and middle fingers :)

I reckon thats a pretty good song choice for you to be getting on with. Happy playing and good luck :)

Should you not have the money or interest, you can always self-study through the internet as well.

I neither have the money, the interest nor the time :D

dr4hkon, you don't need to use you're little finger at all in the main riff..

I know that you don't need the little finger for the main riff.

But some chords (like the F-chord) require the little finger. And that's the problem.

I'm not only learning to play Hysteria. I also try to get into Popcorn by Muse and go through this page a bit.

Edit: Can somebody tell me how the following is to be read?

B|--t12p9h5--|

Edited by drahkon

I've been playing piano for god knows how long and I'm good enough at that but I can never stick with the guitar..

Starts off too painful for the fingers and just sounds horrendous. It's a tough instrument to get into. wish I started it when I was younger and had more patience.

I come back and see this at the same time as a friend was mentioning that he might like to start learning to play the guitar, brilliant.

I've just read through this thread and I didn't see anywhere that this came up but my friend was wondering, as he's a totally complete beginner and only now is he really even thinking that music is more than just some background noise, where should he start?

Buy an acoustic and go from there? Or get straight into an electric guitar?

I'd really like to help him out, he's been in a bad state since last September and I might be able to pass on this info to him to get him to think about something other than his current situation.

where should he start?

Buy an acoustic and go from there? Or get straight into an electric guitar?

As I did some research I found out that it is easier to play the electric guitar but many prefer beginning with an acoustic one.

I started learning with an acoustic guitar (my mother had one and I stole it from her :p), until I became lazy (which took only 2 weeks :D).

Two or three months later I had money to spare and decided to buy an electric guitar with some equipment, and now I'm only playing with this. Mainly because it sounds better. But I often switch between the guitar types.

I think when I start learning chords I'll do so by playing with my acoustic guitar.

Edit ('cause I think that this has been overlooked in my last post :D): Can somebody tell me how the following is to be read?

B|--t12p9h5--|

In regard to the little finger you mentioned...the first thing you want to check is your posture. Back straight and arms free, no leaning on the guitar. If you have a strap, use it and adjust the length accordingly; you want the guitar at a comfortable position, as too high or too low will cause unnecessary strain to your arms and hands. After this, pay attention to the fretting hand. Some pointers:

• one finger per fret
  • this means your hand and fingers should be at a straight angle to the neck, NOT slanted in any way
  • use only your thumb at the bottom of the neck, as this will give you much more range and easier positioning. Your palm SHOULD NOT be touching the neck, as this will only slant your fingers and reduce your range.

Starts off too painful for the fingers and just sounds horrendous. It's a tough instrument to get into. wish I started it when I was younger and had more patience.

Heh, I have similar feelings in regard to piano. It's such a convenient instrument for accompanying yourself while playing melody. However, can't be arsed to learn it properly at this point...

What comes to starting out, drahkon is right. The lighter the string set, the easier to play...thus ele > acoustic. Still in either case, your fingers will be stiff and sore for a period...but after that, it becomes much easier.

Edit ('cause I think that this has been overlooked in my last post ): Can somebody tell me how the following is to be read?

B|--t12p9h5--|

Just took me a while to answer...well first of all, that kind of marking is not even possible :D Breakdown:

t = tap with right hand

p = pull-off to a lower note

h = hammer-on to a higher note

You just cannot pull from 12 to 9 and then hammer to 5, it should be the other way around, i.e. t12-p5-h9. In this case, you have your fretting hand like this:

-index finger on 5

-little finger above 9

Now, you hit 12 with your picking hand index / middle finger, then pull it off the string causing 5 to play. After this, you hammer the 9 with your little finger, then repeat the whole thing. So no picking at all, just using your fingers to tap, pull and hammer.

Second, this is from Muse's Newborn, perhaps? If so, it's not even correct :D I checked and there's no tapping in the solo, just fast picking...however, this tap version is definitely an easier alternative.

Edited by Ville
Automerged Doublepost

Second, this is from Muse's Newborn, perhaps? If so, it's not even correct :D

It's from Haarp.

At 4:25.

It's a shame that the Whammy Pedal is so expensive :D I want one.

You mentioned fast picking. There's also tremolo picking which is even faster. Any tips for that? I know that the movement comes from the wrist joint and not from the whole arm. But still I can't build up enough speed.

Ok, well that's tapping for sure...alternating e.g. t12(8) and t12(5). Seems to be no pull-offs or hammer-ons, just tapping...

Yeah, for tremolo picking I use the whole arm too...you don't usually do it for that long, so it's ok strain-wise.

For tremelo picking, try (without your guitar) rotating your wrist back and forth (as in left and right rather than up and down) and see how much easier it is to have speed and control. Then apply it to your playing :)