N-Europe

Is it possible for players to destroy headphones?

ipaul

I ask this becuase I think my iPod nano has turned malevolent. I have had four pairs of headphones recently and they all have broke after about 3 months with the same problem, the sound going from one of the ears, or both. They weren't really cheap headphones either, 2 pairs of iGrados, 1 pair of Koss Portapros and another bunch of cheaper earbuds. So is it possible that my player has something to do with it or am I the victim of an unfortunate coincidence?

Well there is a possibility that jack on your Ipod is faulty, but that would only be possible to prove if the earphones/headphones worked fine in another device.

Is probably down to how you store them. Do you wrap the cord around your nano when your not using it?

Doing this can put a lot of strain on the connector of your phones and often results in reaching the one earphone working / none working as you described.

Well for me earphones always seem to vary in their life expectancy. At one point I was going through them quite quickly as you say between 2-3 months before they started to crackle (half life I guess) or even die all together. All I can say is try not to put any strain on the cable as much as possible.

Well for me earphones always seem to vary in their life expectancy. At one point I was going through them quite quickly as you say between 2-3 months before they started to crackle (half life I guess) or even die all together. All I can say is try not to put any strain on the cable as much as possible.

This is also true too. If you buy a DECENT pair of 'phones and are willing to put the money into it you'll find they will have a year/2years guarantee. Then they will fix or repair them. Either that or insurance! :smile:

And try blueninja's suggestion - stick em in your PC and see if they still work.

Could be any number of things, you mentioned that you wrap them around your iPod so it could be connector strain or it could be that somehow the iPod is breaking the headphones but I don't see how that's possible...

All I know is that I store my iPod and headphones in a case when not in use with the iPod in one half of the case and loosely coiled headphones in the other half - disconnected from the iPod obv - and haven't had any problems.

This is also true too. If you buy a DECENT pair of 'phones and are willing to put the money into it you'll find they will have a year/2years guarantee. Then they will fix or repair them. Either that or insurance! :smile:

And try blueninja's suggestion - stick em in your PC and see if they still work.

The iGrados were decent and I managed to get a pair replaced for free but they wouldnt replace a second pair =P The headphones don't work in anything else. Ah well I'll be replacing my mp3 player soon in any case but I think I have been unlucky.