NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
ShavenWolf

Laptop for HD Video Editing

Hi peeps!

Basically, my parents are after a new laptop, but one powerful enough for HD video editing as they're getting an HD camcorder in the near future. It won't be for serious, heavy usage, but just for holiday videos, etc. What's the ideal laptop for them, keeping in mind their budget is around £400?

Thanks!

Any laptop should do that tbh, as long as it's not heavy complex editing. Dell have some good deals on atm so check them out.

Hi peeps!

Basically, my parents are after a new laptop, but one powerful enough for HD video editing as they're getting an HD camcorder in the near future. It won't be for serious, heavy usage, but just for holiday videos, etc. What's the ideal laptop for them, keeping in mind their budget is around £400?

Thanks!

I'd seriously be looking at increasing their budget £400 isn't alot for a laptop to edit HD video. I'd be doubling the budget.

HD video requires alot of CPU and RAM. And ideally a Desktop would be far more suited.

I'd seriously be looking at increasing their budget £400 isn't alot for a laptop to edit HD video. I'd be doubling the budget.

HD video requires alot of CPU and RAM. And ideally a Desktop would be far more suited.

Truth, its just gonna be a struggle to edit stuff with a laptop within that budget.

I also agree with Caris, Dell have some good deals on at the mo. I love my Dell. <3

Are we talking real-time video editing here? Or just splicing videos together, adding title screens etc.?

If it's the latter then it should just about be possible. If you're looking at real-time editing using something like Sony Vegas then you've got not a hope in hell of getting a laptop that'll do that for less than £800, you'd likely be looking at a grand. Real time editing pretty much needs a Quad Core CPU and they are pretty new (and expensive) to the mobile arena. You also need a good video card (mobile 9600GT at the very least).

For £400 you could pick up a desktop that'll do the job though.

Get The Macbook Pro. You want power and good software.

The windows route is painful in comparison.

It probably won't get used for real-time editing, to be honest. It'll mainly just be used for splicing things together. It won't be the main purpose of the laptop either, just a feature they can use when it's needed. And they're not the most computer literate people ever either, if I'm honest! ;)

Thanks so far, guys!

It probably won't get used for real-time editing, to be honest. It'll mainly just be used for splicing things together. It won't be the main purpose of the laptop either, just a feature they can use when it's needed. And they're not the most computer literate people ever either, if I'm honest! ;)

Thanks so far, guys!

In which case any dedicated GPU will do fine, even a low spec one.

Get The Macbook Pro. You want power and good software.

The windows route is painful in comparison.

plus one..........................(filler)

plus one..........................(filler)

Trust me, I would but they're £500 above their budget...

Anyway, bit of an update! I've persuaded them to go for the desktop route just because for PCs at that price, it's much better value for money! I think this thread is done. Thanks for the help guys!

Sign in to follow this