NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Rummy

Vista won't boot?

So I tried turning my computer on this morning after a long night of hard partying, and when I did so(it had been hibernated) it came up to the login screen for vista, then it was frozen when I tried to put the password in.

So, I hold the power to turn it off, leave it 30 seconds, turn it back on, this time it says about windows not starting or something how to start etc, I think I went for start normally. So it tries...but fails, freezes at the loading bar thing!

So I do the reboot again, gives me the option to launch startup repair(which I do, it asks if I want to system restore so I say yes) and it says it should work. But...it doesn't work! Freezes at the loading bar whenever I try to start windows. Basically cycle this a few times startup repair runs a few times, eventually it tells me that the error is one that cannot be repaired automatically.

Does anybody...have any solutions to this? Preferably one which won't involve a factory state restore thing?

Edited by Rummy

Pop the Windows disk in, reboot and follow the on-screen instructions. There should be an option to do a "repair install".

Just to say, tried booting in safe mode and it hung for a while on crcdisk.sys, but finally got there.

McPhee, I unfortunately don't have any Windows disk, it came pre-installed on the laptop(which is why I hate shit like that, because of shit like this), what would a 'repair install' do anyhow? Just repair all the system files by re-installing them specifically?

If it came pre-installed you should have a partition (it's called recovery partion or something) with windows on it and you should be able to do a reapir installation from there.

:(

I've had a look, and the best I can find is the Acer eRecovery Console(accessed by pressing Alt+F10 at boot), but that bastard only offers me to restore to factory default, restore from a cd/dvd(like a user made one, I think), or something else which I forgot but basically it all means it's gonna restore the entire computer to how it was when I got it, I'd rather not do that!

I'm on the laptop now, but I'm running in safe mode, from what I can gather the fact I can run in safe mode means there's some driver problem that doesn't occur when in safe mode because it isn't loaded, right? Is there any easy way for me to find out what that driver is, then run in safe mode and replace it?

Edited by Rummy

If you run msconfig you will be able to see all the start up processes and disable what you think may be causing the problem. But since you are now into the Operating system perhaps you could try a system restore?

Also I don't know if Acer still do this but they have a partition called Data where they've split your hard drive into two. So if it comes to it you can move all your files and documents to the D or whatever partition and then do the restore and transfer them back afterwards.

Aye, realised/considered that today whlist conversing with someone who mentioned partitions! It won't *quite* be enough, but it'll be nice cos it means I have a majority of stuff/space available and don't need too much more(the c: drive has about 40GB of data max, i imagine a large part of which is windows and program files, just my documents to think of beyond that).

Msconfig, I tried to disable ALL startup services and programs, except Microsoft/Windows processes, still freezes. Then tried to go for the System Restore from safe mode, seems that in it's original attempdingtings to fix itself, the blasted bastard thing has wiped any and all trace of any restore points, so I'm fucked. I'm jsut gonna back up my data somehow through safe mode(presuming I can) and then do a system restore. Thanks for all your helps and things guys!

OK I have a problem similar to his, basically I can't go and do anything past the loading screen. It just crashes. I don't have any CD to re-install, so how do I go about restoring windows OS?

I just keep getting BSOD

On XP or Vista? What make/model is the comp/laptop and did it come with any CDs or disks?

RIGHT! An update, an update is mighty confusing, this is some sort of phantom shit, hopefully people who know more might be able to offer me some solutions?

my laptop, which broke.

My mate leant me his HD today so i could back up all my shit, then do a system restore. Whilst he was round, i backed up all of my C drive, but not the D drive(which i debated doing cos it might be saved) but i couldnt do it nor set the system restore to do at the time cos I was heading to aikido. So tonight, about 30-40min ago, i turned the laptop back on; external HD still connected through USB, when i come back it says it's doing a scan of the G drive(the external HD) so i leave it for a bit, then go downstairs just now and my laptop appears to have fixed itself and boots(well, is booted) into Vista normally again without any problems. Previously, it'd never boot, only into safe mode when i tell it to.

I am bloody confused as to how it magically fixed itself. The *only* other thing i did was to change one of the RAM sticks(1GB>2GB, so now I have a total of 4GB), but if the RAM was fucked surely it wouldn't have booted into safe mode? Anybody got any magic answers, what the hell has occured! Srs, answers wanted.

Sign in to follow this