N-Europe

Is this a good system?

Pancake

It's an excellent system, but I would recommend either getting a less powerful GPU (like a single GPU) or step up the Power supply to at least 700W. It's likely the 600W would be fine and have no problems at all, but when it comes to the PSU it's better to be a little cautious with them. A bad PSU under powering stuff can ruin components.

The only other thing is it's likely you could order these parts and build yourself for cheaper. I'm not very adept with UK prices so I'm not sure and the online sites always give me a headache. You could also likely go much cheaper if you go for an AMD build using AM3 instead of Core i7. You really wont be able to see the difference in framerates. either way you could play any game at max other than Crysis, and crysis depends on the resolution.

I made an AMD system on that site, but they don't even offer DDR3 RAM for any AMD builds so screw that. DDR2 would still get good performance but it's another upgrade down the line. It is cheaper though and would perform just as well.

Edited by Nolan

I'm a bit sceptical about the ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2. Usually the dual chip cards need special optimization in the driver for every game.

I mean at the moment the GPU will give you enough power that even if only one chip is used it won't be noticable but it might be worth looking into a 4890 instead or a single chip 4870 and upgrade sooner, because Direct X 11 seems to be shaping up fine and to use all the new features you'll need a new card.

Most games right now will run with the 4870x2 fine. Some scale better than others, but other than a scant few I don't think any of them don't run whatsoever. going for 2 4870x2's however is a much bigger risk as plenty of games do not support that.

Seems good value to me, wouldn't be much cheaper to build it yourself. The only changes i'd make are the GPU and the case and even then it's just personal preference. The 4870 X2 is very power hungry, i'd go for a pair of 4770s and upgrade them to something more powerful when the next generation of GPUs ticks round. On the case front i've owned an Antec 900. While it's not bad i definitely wouldn't buy another. The case fans aren't all that quiet, the case lighting can't be switched off, there's no dust filters and the inside could do with a lick of black paint.