N-Europe

Transfer Files from PC to PC

david.dakota

My parents recently had a new PC, the old PC simply turned itself off after just a few minutes (plus it was desperately old and needed replacing).

The old PC was home to a variety of files, photos etc which they'd like to get back. The CD drive is not write-able, which leaves limited options to transfer these files.

The easiest option i can think of is to link them by ethernet, but i'm not sure if the PC's will communicate with each other this way?

Other than that, any other options that people can think of?

Plug an external harddrive (or USB Stick, SD-Card etc.) in. If the old PC doesn't have USB 2.0 this option falls flat.

You could also plug the old harddrive into the new PC, which could be a bit of a problem though if you have two OS then without a proper bootloader.

That's all I can think of right now.

Well, the old PC is totally screwed, it won't boot into Windows at all, just keeps going through asking for 'safe mode'...

The new PC runs Vista, while the old is running XP. Was thinking of installing the drive as a slave on the new machine, but ran out of time...

External hard drive adapters for 3.5" are a hassle because they need external power feed.

I would sugest you sinply connect them through Ethernet as you said, since it's the easier and faster way to transfer the files, but if doesn't boot to windows, your best bet is to install it as slave in your new PC.

If you don't want to keep it in the new PC, copy the files to your main HDD and remove the old one.

External hard drive adapters for 3.5" are a hassle because they need external power feed.

Which almost always come with them, so is that really an issue. Even with a shortness of outlets, you could just move the files over and put the drive away when done.