NEurope
rizz

Annoying fans

Ok my familys PC has started making loud whirring noises just like so many pc's before it. It was opened up and found to be the fan on the graphics card. It starts off quiet, but after a while gets really really loud.

What is the cause and what is the solution?

All I can think is that it's working overtime with all the heat recently. Though it's not like it's doing anything strenuous like playing games.

Thanks.

Is it dirty? The fan might be speeding up cause it's full of dusty fluff, or even cause it's summer and warmer. If not the bearing in the fan might have gone.

Is it a piece of shit graphics card? Does anyone game on that machine?

If the answers are yes and no, then I'd replace it with a passively cooled cheap card, such as http://www.ebuyer.com/product/145831 (if it's a PCIe board).

If you think you can replace the fan easily enough, there's no reason not to try

Edited by RoadKill

Funny thing is, it's a decent Nvidia. I can't remember what exactly, i'd call it mid-range. If it persists then i'll suggest replacing the fan.

Cheers guys.

Hit the Windows Key + R, type DXDiag and click on display. Tell us what it says. Graphics cards have moved on quite rapidly lately, you might find a new card as cheap (and more power efficient) than replacing the cooler.

I have a fanless graphics card, so I'm siding with that suggestion. (msi 7950gt <3)

I mean you could spend £30-£50 on a decent fan (and there's getting it installed without trashing it - fans can be a real bitch to get on)

http://www.quietpc.co.uk have quite a few fanless graphics cards. I'm not incredibly up to date on hardware these days but this looks like a nice piece of kit for just under £50.

A 9500 GS....It's on the newer side of things so I doubt the bearing in the fan is going out so to reiterate WnC and Caris check for dust and clean it first.

If it's persistent after cleaning, then I suppose it could be the bearing. I would however suggest getting a passively cooled card on the cheaper rather than trying to replace the fan if that is the case. So long as no one games on the PC, it shouldn't pose problems.

@Raining Again, a passively cooled 7950GT! :o Didn't those run hot with fans? Or do you just have a monster copper heatsink?

A 9500 GS....It's on the newer side of things so I doubt the bearing in the fan is going out so to reiterate WnC and Caris check for dust and clean it first.

If it's persistent after cleaning, then I suppose it could be the bearing. I would however suggest getting a passively cooled card on the cheaper rather than trying to replace the fan if that is the case. So long as no one games on the PC, it shouldn't pose problems.

@Raining Again, a passively cooled 7950GT! :o Didn't those run hot with fans? Or do you just have a monster copper heatsink?

Fanlessss for teh win :D I bought this from quietpc.co.uk about 2 years ago (it was £200 at the time)

picture!

n516616606_609655_347.jpg

and the other side has a big copper heatsink like so:

7950gt_05.jpg

As I suspected.

Or do you just have a monster copper heatsink?

You could always go for a nice bit of Water Cooling. Personally I don't mind the fans and I've used the 4870 with some loud fans.

How do you suggest cleaning things like this?

I just hold the vacuum nozzle next to the dusty area.

You don't want to do that. At least I wouldn't suggest it. You don't want to create static electricity in any way either. I don't know if a vacuum will do that or not though. Stores do sell canned air, which you can buy and use to blow dust out of all the dirty areas. That's what I would recommend. Or if you hvae superman lungs...

You don't want to do that. At least I wouldn't suggest it. You don't want to create static electricity in any way either. I don't know if a vacuum will do that or not though. Stores do sell canned air, which you can buy and use to blow dust out of all the dirty areas. That's what I would recommend. Or if you hvae superman lungs...

If you're going to use canned air then remove the card from the PC and disconnect the fan. Blowing air on to a fan will make it spin, generating electricity. You can fry the components.

The best way tends to be to actually remove the cooler and give it a thorough cleaning then reapply (though you'll need some thermal paste).