NEurope
Caris

WWDC 2009

I wouldn't touch a Mac Mini with a barge pole, there can't be many things in life that are more of a rip-off. I could put together a smaller, faster Windows machine for less than that. Heck, i could probably do two for the price of the 320GB model. Might sound like a bit of a rant, but i genuinely never realised they were that much until I went to take a look just now.

I don't think the specs of the machine are the main selling point. It's meant to be an entry level Mac for new Mac users. No one other than a new Mac user is expected to get one really.

I wouldn't touch a Mac Mini with a barge pole, there can't be many things in life that are more of a rip-off. I could put together a smaller, faster Windows machine for less than that. Heck, i could probably do two for the price of the 320GB model. Might sound like a bit of a rant, but i genuinely never realised they were that much until I went to take a look just now.

The Mac Books are pretty nice though, definitely worth a buy. Supposed to be some of the best built laptops you can get and certainly better than most stuff in the price range.

Agreed. Steer clear of the mini, unless you have money to burn.

2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo

1GB memory

120GB hard drive

£500 for that is a disgrace. You could get

Q6700 Quad Core @ 2.66Ghz

4Gb Ram

500Gb Hard Drive

Asus P5Q Deluxe Mobo

Corsair 520W HX

in a sexy Antec P182 Case

for £500. Then install OSX on that beast. It would walk all over a mini.

Edit : Maybe £600

Edited by fex

I understand why it exists Charlie. I just think it's a good £150 out on what it should be (or £200 for the more expensive model). I'm even including the usual "Apple Tax" on that figure. If this was a Windows machine i wouldn't pay more than £250-£300 for it.

£500 for that is a disgrace. You could get

Q6700 Quad Core @ 2.66Ghz

4Gb Ram

500Gb Hard Drive

Asus P5Q Deluxe Mobo

Corsair 520W HX

in a sexy Antec P182 Case

for £500. Then install OSX on that beast. It would walk all over a mini.

Edit : Maybe £600

Getting a bit off topic, but here's the rig i spec'd for my brother;

Phenom II 940 3GHz Quad Core CPU

Biostar 790GX Crossfire Mobo

4GB DDR2-800 RAM

ATi 4770 GPU

1TB Samsung F1 Hard Drive

Samsung DVD-RW

The £55 Coolermaster case/PSU combo on eBuyer

Comes out at £455 in total. Or if i was matching the £500 figure i'd probably go mATX and pop it in the Antec cube case for a £485 total. You really do have to wonder sometimes...

Yet they're still gaining market share.

True, especially when the compeititon's worst enemy are themselves.