Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Apple TV questions

david.dakota

Hi

We currently say Sky an extortionate amount of money, and i simply watch Lost and a handful of other US shows. So, i'm thinking out of the box for better solutions. I'm sure the others in the house can live without their shows, and a Freesat PVR should suffice for them.

So, I've been thinking of getting Apple US for a while, mainly for US shows on iTunes- i believe all i need is a US i Tunes voucher, is that correct?

Is there a function to automatically download shows- a sort of series link i suppose, so a show is always ready.

What are the prices for US shows- is there a 'season pass'?

Also, how much support do UK broadcasters give iTunes/apple TV?

Is there any plan to get 5.1 sound on programmes- i believe this is/was a problem.

Also, can i use AppleTV without a computer, just take it through the wireless router.

Thanks muchly.

Edited by david.dakota

You must physically be in the US and be using an American credit card to use the US store. Did you check to see if the content is available with the UK store?

Thats disappointing. I was told there was a way of, i suppose, tricking the system with US iTunes vouchers...

The content will be on Sky (our Pay TV operator) and they pretty much sew up the broadcast and PPV rights in the UK.

It might be possible to somehow go through a US proxy, but I'd imagine its not the easiest thing to do with an Apple TV.

Apparently people have hacked them to go through a proxy, but it sounds very warranty invalidating.

Edited by Emasher

Thats disappointing. I was told there was a way of, i suppose, tricking the system with US iTunes vouchers...

The content will be on Sky (our Pay TV operator) and they pretty much sew up the broadcast and PPV rights in the UK.

Actually iTunes have the rights to quite a few programmes to download. You should take a check to see what they have. But I don't think it'll be cheaper paying for all of those than what it is for Sky when you think of all the random stuff you get on Sky which is worth a watch when there's nothing else to do.

• 2 weeks later...

We rarely, very rarely end up just finding something random to watch on Sky, we end us spending HOURS and HOURS trawling their unforgivably clumbersome EPG only to revert back to the Beeb or slap in Mario Kart.

I'll be heading to the Apple Store in Birmingham to purchase- give it a whirl first.

Its cheaper and easier just sticking with SKY in this case.

Try Apple TV. You'll find it does not have alot of fans.

Where do you come up with these random thoughts from? Choze's book of bullshit Facts perhaps?

When it was first released it wasn't the best, but with the big software update it made a lot better. I've used it for a month after borrowing it from a friend and found it pretty awesome. I have a lot of media stored on my Mac and there's no point in having a hdtv in the room if I'm just gonna use my macbook to watch everything. It's a lot less hassle than burning discs everytime I want to watch something. I don't rent movies, but i'd imagine quite a few people do, thus saving you ever having to go to Blockbuster again.

We rarely, very rarely end up just finding something random to watch on Sky, we end us spending HOURS and HOURS trawling their unforgivably clumbersome EPG only to revert back to the Beeb or slap in Mario Kart.

I'll be heading to the Apple Store in Birmingham to purchase- give it a whirl first.

Do that. You'd quickly realise be far better off with a PS3 or 360. Apple Tv is like a limited toy in comparison.

There is a new EPG being used on Sky now. Though it might be Sky HD only. You have search and some nice stuff like PlayTv though not as elegant. Though yes Sky arent exactly innovaters.

Where do you come up with these random thoughts from? Choze's book of bullshit Facts perhaps?

When it was first released it wasn't the best, but with the big software update it made a lot better. I've used it for a month after borrowing it from a friend and found it pretty awesome. I have a lot of media stored on my Mac and there's no point in having a hdtv in the room if I'm just gonna use my macbook to watch everything. It's a lot less hassle than burning discs everytime I want to watch something. I don't rent movies, but i'd imagine quite a few people do, thus saving you ever having to go to Blockbuster again.

Apple Tv is probably their weakest product. Its weak all round. Heck the new Zune sounds ten times better and i dont like MS :p How can you even defend the crappy 2" tiny remote and super slow response UI. The rental movie costs arent cheap and low quality in which case you could pay for a sky sub or Lovefilm sub for Blu ray. Its a weak product all round and utter shite for the price and i like Apple.

Edited by Choze

The Sky EPG is for HD only, and to be honest does nothing new, and just as cluttered and just a difficult to find anything. A bargain basement Freeview reciever looks clearer, and is easier to navigate. I'm also not prepared to pay £30 per month for subs (with HD)- surely watching 2 US programmes per week via iTunes would work out cheaper- i'd never spend that much would i- £20 absolute max, surely... Without adverts too. Heaven if you ask me.

According to another forum, its exceptionally easy to do have US programmes, so its looking positive. The only downside is, apparently, while aTV supports 720p, the bitrate is rather low. Its not broadcast quality, but pretty good.

Its up to you.

I dont see any value in Apple TV though, it doesnt come close to excelling at anything. There is better out there for your TV. £10 more or whatever it costs. nets you so much more for going Sky.

I'd rather wait for the UK PSN movieStore and go for the quality (though sizes are much larger) and still keep Sky.

try it at the store and get back to us(or buy it).

• 1 year later...

The hobby gets serious

Engadget are reporting a major revision to Apple TV, with a new cloud based device streaming media to your TV.

Apparently offering 1080p output, the unit is said to be near identical to iPhone, with iPhone OS, similar internal specs but without the screen - all with one crazy price $99!

Sound promising - although for those with limited broadband speeds (like me) its sadly not as suitable as the original Apple TV.

Depending on how this turns out i think it could be a very interesting device. The only ing that would hold me back from buying one is that fact the ps3 is s damn good for media use. This would have to be very special to take it's place.