NEurope
Pestneb

Language acquisition

Looks quite good, i used to be able to speak quite good French and German, so i might take a refresher on this.

I tried this a while ago and it annoyed me as the quiz sections were really anal about grammar and spelling (which I know is important and you can teach it spellings but its annoying when you know how to say something but it doesn't like how you're spelling it...oh and this was for Japanese, bit more understandable for stuff like French). May try it again soon though.

But while here; does anyone know any resources for ways to remember Japanese. Like earlier, I was looking at pronouns and I knew Watashi (I) and remembered Anatta (You) through thinking of my friend Anna and drew little stick figures. Then to remember Watasti Tachi (We) I drew a little rope between them and wrote under it "we are atachied". That kind of thing which I know there will be a word for (Grunch?).

I tried this a while ago and it annoyed me as the quiz sections were really anal about grammar and spelling (which I know is important and you can teach it spellings but its annoying when you know how to say something but it doesn't like how you're spelling it...oh and this was for Japanese, bit more understandable for stuff like French). May try it again soon though.

But while here; does anyone know any resources for ways to remember Japanese. Like earlier, I was looking at pronouns and I knew Watashi (I) and remembered Anatta (You) through thinking of my friend Anna and drew little stick figures. Then to remember Watasti Tachi (We) I drew a little rope between them and wrote under it "we are atachied". That kind of thing which I know there will be a word for (Grunch?).

I have Japanese For Busy People and that book is really good! Make sure you learn Hiragana and Katakana before you start learning if you haven't aready done that. It takes some time, but it could be a lot worse. They really help to break words down into very simple monosyllabic sounds.

Forget English when you are learning it and focus on the actual meanings instead. Only use the vocab lists as a sort of dictionary and learn the words from the sentences/dialogues that they are in. Only look the meanings up when you come across them. Dont pay too much effort trying to memorise words out of a sentence because verbs, nouns, adverbs, adjectives and etc are meaningless on their own. When you read something enough times, you'll remember what it means. Japanese is a beautiful language and the sounds are easy to fall in love with. I don't know about Kanji (Traditional Chinese) though, lol...

When you start learning Kanji, get to know the radicals first and learn what's happening in the characters! You'll see women, water, fire, animals and a whole lot of other things in them that will help you to remember what they mean. If a character has a water radical, the character will have something to do with water.

I have Japanese For Busy People and that book is really good! Make sure you learn Hiragana and Katakana before you start learning if you haven't aready done that. It takes some time, but it could be a lot worse. They really help to break words down into very simple monosyllabic sounds.

Forget English when you are learning it and focus on the actual meanings instead. Only use the vocab lists as a sort of dictionary and learn the words from the sentences/dialogues that they are in. Only look the meanings up when you come across them. Dont pay too much effort trying to memorise words out of a sentence because verbs, nouns, adverbs, adjectives and etc are meaningless on their own. When you read something enough times, you'll remember what it means. Japanese is a beautiful language and the sounds are easy to fall in love with. I don't know about Kanji (Traditional Chinese) though, lol...

When you start learning Kanji, get to know the radicals first and learn what's happening in the characters! You'll see women, water, fire, animals and a whole lot of other things in them that will help you to remember what they mean. If a character has a water radical, the character will have something to do with water.

Thanks for the advice, all very useful. However while I plan to learn Japanese more in the long run I need a quick burst of conversational at present as im off there in a month. So I need a quick fix essentially so I can muddle my way around. But you're tips shall be useful for when I get back and begin to 'properly' learn it.

(or maybe I will start 'properly' learning once I finish all this uni work but at present it needs to be a quick dip in dip out thing)

Edited by Ashley

Thanks for the advice, all very useful. However while I plan to learn Japanese more in the long run I need a quick burst of conversational at present as im off there in a month. So I need a quick fix essentially so I can muddle my way around. But you're tips shall be useful for when I get back and begin to 'properly' learn it.

(or maybe I will start 'properly' learning once I finish all this uni work but at present it needs to be a quick dip in dip out thing)

Oh ok, have a great time! That'll be fascinating, are you going to take a notepad and pencil? Might be useful!