N-Europe

Everything's Gone!...Oh, wait...there it is...

Roostophe

When I logged in earlier, I discovered that everything on my profile had disappeared. All my folders, programmes and documents and shit completely not there. Only to find that everything was all still here in my folder in 'Documents and Settings'.

Is there any way I can restore all my settings and documents back so that everything is how it was before, so that it IS actually there when I log in?

Fucking YES!

My profile is as empty as a new one, but all my documents are still on the computer. It's as if everything has all been moved elsewhere.

I have to start up everything all over again. I had to re-install iTunes just now and I lost all my music data AGAIN!

I don't know if this has happened to the other users on the PC. I bet it hasn't, though. It never does.

If everything is still intact in your documents and settings folder then you shouldn't have to lose your itunes data, it's all stored in XML files in your itunes folder, just import them into itunes. Also itunes should still be installed, you'll just need to make a new shortcut to it.

So do you now have two different User folders in C:\documents and settings\user\ ?

Maybe you have a virus? Do you download anything dodgy? Does anyone else who uses the system? Do you do virus scans?

Maybe it's time to buy yourself a nice personal laptop with vista on or something, stop letting other people mess up your stuff.

If everything is still intact in your documents and settings folder then you shouldn't have to lose your itunes data, it's all stored in XML files in your itunes folder, just import them into itunes. Also itunes should still be installed, you'll just need to make a new shortcut to it.

When I opened iTunes from the Start Menu, it acted as though I was installing it and this was the first time I was using it. I even had to link it up with last.fm!

How would I import the XML files anyway?

So do you now have two different User folders in C:\documents and settings\user\ ?

No, just have the one.

Maybe you have a virus? Do you download anything dodgy? Does anyone else who uses the system? Do you do virus scans?

I wouldn't know about any of this, tbh, it's not my PC.

Maybe it's time to buy yourself a nice personal laptop with vista on or something, stop letting other people mess up your stuff.

I seriously doubt people have been messing up with my stuff.

Plus I will be getting a laptop for myself real soon. But I just need the monies first. My Jobseeker's Allowance can't come quick enough. :(

When I opened iTunes from the Start Menu, it acted as though I was installing it and this was the first time I was using it. I even had to link it up with last.fm!

How would I import the XML files anyway?

Find them first, by default in C:\documents and settings\user\(your user name)\my documents\my music\itunes or something similar. In iTunes click file>library>import playlist and load the file.

Find them first, by default in C:\documents and settings\user\(your user name)\my documents\my music\itunes or something similar. In iTunes click file>library>import playlist and load the file.

Gah, that didnae work. :(

Sod it, though, I've put all the songs back on iTunes. I'll just start again like I did about a month ago.

(I just had to re-install uTorrent, btw...)

EDIT: Hang about...that iTunes import did something...it brought back all the playlists. Thank fuck for that, aamof.

Edited by Roostophe

After looking into it, I've found that I'm logged into the TEMP user.

I can still log on as myself, entering my password at the logon screen, but instead it redirects me into the TEMP user profile.

I have no idea how I can stop it from doing that, but I wonder if I could somehow remove my user account from the PC without losing all my documents and stuff, moving those into the new one. Is there a way I can do that?

What happens when you do system restore?

And...err...where do I go to do it? :blush:

It's in the start menu somewhere, it restores all your system files to a time of your choosing without losing any content.

if that doesnt work, save everything you need from C:\documents and settings in a separate folder on the C:\ drive, make a new account and copy everything back over. then delete your old account.

So it was guest mode...

Actually, guest user has actually been turned actually off, actually. :heh:

It's in the start menu somewhere, it restores all your system files to a time of your choosing without losing any content.

if that doesnt work, save everything you need from C:\documents and settings in a separate folder on the C:\ drive, make a new account and copy everything back over. then delete your old account.

I'll think I'll just do the latter...on Sunday.

Sorted and aborted. Thanks for the help, d00ds. :D

Edited by Roostophe