N-Europe

Playing .AVI crashes computer

fex

I've switched back to Windows and have been impressed for the past two weeks, everything has seemed fairly stable... until. I downloaded the new episode of Dragonball Kai @ 720p my specs (posted below) should be plenty enough to be able to cope with the demand. At random times whilst playing the video (though WMP Classic) the whole computer will freeze and a reset is required.

I've downloaded VLC, K-Lite, Xvid and uninstalled them all again! To no avail.

This is why I moved away from Windows in the first place. I'm a fool to have gone back.

Spec's

Core 2 Duo @ 2.4Ghz

3Gb of Ram

ATI x1950 Pro

I've downloaded VLC, K-Lite, Xvid and uninstalled them all again! To no avail.

Here's your problem. You think you've cleaned your PC of the codec packs but the registry probably still has some of them.

Do the insurgent thing Shino said and follow the steps in the CCCP site FAQ.

Then install CCCP as it's pretty much the only reliable codec pack. It's officially supported by the Matroska guys (.mkv, the filetype of your DB Kai files).

And never ever touch VLC again.

Windows is not the problem, the user is.:)

Here's your problem. You think you've cleaned your PC of the codec packs but the registry probably still has some of them.

Do the insurgent thing Shino said and follow the steps in the CCCP site FAQ.

Then install CCCP as it's pretty much the only reliable codec pack. It's officially supported by the Matroska guys (.mkv, the filetype of your DB Kai files).

And never ever touch VLC again.

Windows is not the problem, the user is.:)

Haha! I love that last sentence. I installed CCCP now when I play the files it will play the audio and theres no video. I havn't had time to sit down and read everything on the CCCP website. When I get back home after the weekend I'll have a good look at it all.

Hmm, I don't know, maybe that specific file is broken. Try downloading another file, or does it happen the same way with every file you play?

Also, did you check the "Re-register filters" option when you installed the pack? If you did not, run the CCCP settings and check "re-register filters" and "reset all settings", then click apply. Might help.

Edited by Blue_Ninja0

Hmmm this appears to not only be a problem with playing videos but playing any games as well. I downloaded Counter Strike 1.6 for some nostalgiac play and that kept locking up. I switched from OpenGL to software can although it looked aweful, it was solid as a rock. It appears any time I put any type of strain on the GFX card its freezes my whole computer?

Do I have a dodgey GFX card or is there not enough power being supplied?

Yep, I've reinstalled the GFX card drivers.

This problem has been a massive problem for my brother (it was his computer) being a massive gamer he replaced the mobo, put a new heatsink on the processor, numberous reinstallations of windows. And still had the problem.

I have found that his PSU is 550W but only cost around £19. Are cheap PSU's prone to crashing systems under load?

A 550W PSU for just £19? I'm sure it will never overload the 550W but I wouldn't put my hands on the fire for it's reliability.

I don't know. Seriously, it can be anything. Your best bet is trying to use other computer's parts in yours to try and find what's the faulting part. Use a PSU from other computer or a gfx card, even if weaker, just to check if it's the card's fault.

Memory problems usually provoque blue screens and PSU problems usually restart your computer instantaneously so I would bet it's the gfx card's fault.

I have found that his PSU is 550W but only cost around £19. Are cheap PSU's prone to crashing systems under load?

Yes. If you bought a "550w" PSU for £19 new I guarantee it is a pile of dog shit and in reality would probably only deliver ~300w of dirty, dirty power. People are forever wasting money on these things and they always cause problems

Edited by RoadKill

Yes. If you bought a "550w" PSU for £19 new I guarantee it is a pile of dog shit and in reality would probably only deliver ~300w of dirty, dirty power. People are forever wasting money on these things and they always cause problems

Cheers for the info Roadkill. I'm thinking of gettin a Enermax Pro82+ 625W I want to buy a good PSU as I want stabilty at present, but I want it use it in my new computer as I plan to build a whole PC sometime in the near future.

Also this PSU is the nosieyest mother in the land!

If you're looking around that wattage, Corsair have a glorious rep in this area: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/135514

Certainly wouldn't say anything bad about Enermax though

Hmm do you think 650 is a little to high in the wattage department? I just want to ensure I feed the machine enough juice. At max I'll have processor, mobo, one gfx card, DVD drive, 2 x HHD. I plan to upgrade to a core i7 so I want to ensure I have enough power to allow that to thrive. Im 90% I won't want to O/C it.

The thing is, a PSU that states it outputs 650W never gives you the 650W so you have to buy one with that in mind. Furthermore, a PSU lowers it's power output and grip on voltage levels with aging.

That's only true of shit power supplies that are tested at say 25°c as opposed to decent ones tested at 50°c >

The best possible place for power supply reviews in my opinion is http://www.jonnyguru.com

My machine only draws 180-350w (measured on the AC side, remember the PSU is about 80% efficient so in reality under full load I'd only require 280w or so on the DC side) and I have a Core 2 Duo E6550 @ 3.5 GHz, Radeon 2900XT, Voodoo3 3000, Matrox G450, 3x HDDs, 4GB DDR2-1000, running it on a Corsair HX520 power supply

Edited by RoadKill

Ahem. You negated what I said but you then proceeded to say the same thing I said about the fact that the PSU is not 100% efficient in reality.

Power supplies are rated by the power on the DC side they can supply, and NOT their AC draw, so, no, I didn't contradict myself