N-Europe

Steel Battalion

Goafer

Did anyone here get to play it? I managed to pick up a copy of the game and the controller not too long ago. As a game it's pretty "meh", but as an experience and collectors piece it's awesome. It manages to recreate the feeling of being in a mech surprisingly well. It's just a shame that a real mech would be sluggish and difficult to control.

The controller is very well made, especially the pedals, which feel very solid and chunky.

I never realised how limited the production run was either. 2000 units worldwide and then a bit of a re-release in the US.

Pictures:

Controller:

100_2933.jpg

Pedals and box:

SP_A0037.jpg

Please spare a moment to think about how rediculous I looked carrying that thing, including a park and ride trip, through Oxford city centre. I even missed seeing Steven Fry due to the weight of the box preventing me from hanging around long enough.

Edited by Goafer

My brother-in-law has it. Great game, at the start, controls do feel sluggish and unwieldy buuuut after you start getting use to everything and further into the game, everything really gets better especially with the newer mech that are faster and more agile.

Yeah, once I got used to it and a bit further in I did find it a bit less sluggish. It still felt claustrophobic though and never felt fast paced. I guess that was the point though. You're hardly going to be leaping all over the place like an epileptic gymntast in a robot the size of a cathedral.

Later mechs open the screen up more too and you'll be able to see alot more. I'm still hoping they make a sequel, and perhaps BC....and perhaps an adapter to make current controllers work for the sequel....dreamworld is a wonderful horrible place.