N-Europe

New Wii Control Device: Wii jOG

david.dakota

Digital Spy are reporting that a new - unofficial - Wii control device is due to be launched.

The Wii jOG contraption is designed to allow players to control their playable characters by 'jogging on the spot'. Fitting between the Wii Remote and Nunchuk, Wii jOG works by simply blocking signals from the analogue stick, only opening the gateway once the player is running on the spot.

More details are a left click away.

[sarcasm]Joy. [/sarcasm]

The idea itself is something that could be cool if used well. Certainly would help to burn off the calories, hehe. But, what an interesting way of working - blocking off the signal from the Nunchuk to the Wiimote, unless there's movement. There's some potential there, I feel.

Interesting concept indeed, but anyone who's played Wii Fit will know that putting the Remote in your pocket can sometimes force it into a position where it's not detecting as much motion and shows that you're not jogging at a constant speed. I'd imagine running away for dear life from Ganondorf only to end up stopping dead because of inaccuracy in the controller would be frustrating, unless it somehow incorporated Motion Plus-like tech.

Interesting concept indeed, but anyone who's played Wii Fit will know that putting the Remote in your pocket can sometimes force it into a position where it's not detecting as much motion and shows that you're not jogging at a constant speed. I'd imagine running away for dear life from Ganondorf only to end up stopping dead because of inaccuracy in the controller would be frustrating, unless it somehow incorporated Motion Plus-like tech.

This was mentioned briefly on the Gadget show just a few days ago. I can't say I care for unofficial stuff much. I just wish Nintendo would hurry up and announce the new release date for Walk with me on the DS. It was pushed back due to production issues. But I'm wondering now if NOE are going to release in late spring/early summer when more people will be out walking about with nicer weather.

Guest Captain Falcon
This was mentioned briefly on the Gadget show just a few days ago. I can't say I care for unofficial stuff much. I just wish Nintendo would hurry up and announce the new release date for Walk with me on the DS. It was pushed back due to production issues. But I'm wondering now if NOE are going to release in late spring/early summer when more people will be out walking about with nicer weather.

Yeah, I saw this on the repeat this morning where they said it work with lots of games. Nice idea in principle, but I fail to see it working for the majority of games other than those of the fitness or party variety.

Imagine trying to play a Sonic game with that thing or the full 90 on a football game.

Edited by Captain Falcon

What a stupid little gadget. "Jogging" in place is a lame idea anyway (because it's not "jogging", it's jumping with one leg and then with the other, there is no forward propulsion as is required for running or jogging) let alone having to do it to play videogames.

Just get a rope and skip rope, damnit, it's more fun. The more time passes, the more I become convinced that this is not the future of gaming.

Edited by ...

It works by blocking the control signal from the Nunchuck unless you're jogging on the spot. Very simple, very clever!

Doesn't anyone else see the massive problem with that?

You have to be jogging on the spot in order to use the Analogue Stick, which means that you'll be shaking the Wii Remote and Nunchuck all the time, which means that it simply won't work with any game that uses motion controls.

You have to be jogging on the spot in order to use the Analogue Stick, which means that you'll be shaking the Wii Remote and Nunchuck all the time, which means that it simply won't work with any game that uses motion controls.

The solution here would be that you get some motor skills.

What a stupid little gadget. "Jogging" in place is a lame idea anyway (because it's not "jogging", it's jumping with one leg and then with the other, there is no forward propulsion as is required for running or jogging) let alone having to do it to play videogames.

Exactly. I really like Wii Fit and the Balance Board, but I never understood how the jogging could work. I don't like jogging on the spot because, as you say, there's no propulsion.

Very good point.

I was surprised The Gadget Show had this as their No.1 toy from the Show, as using it to play games that weren't designed for it would surely be like trying to play Street Fighter II with a dance mat!

I was surprised The Gadget Show had this as their No.1 toy from the Show, as using it to play games that weren't designed for it would surely be like trying to play Street Fighter II with a dance mat!

That actually reminds me of the time where I used an N64 Steering Wheel to play Goldeneye. The steering wheel basically just replaced the analogue controls (although I can't remember how I went forwards or back....and I can't remember what model wheel it was either.)

Nevertheless, it was pretty funny. I actually had fun doing it, although it did not work at all.