N-Europe

Indiana Jones and the Staff of Kings

welsh_gamer

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

I got it yesterday. It's not a good game. It's very linear - move from A to B and then copy the motion controls shown on screen, move from A to B, copy the motion controls shown on screen, etc; so there's not much of a challenge to be had here. There are fist fights to be had along the way, which work well, and gun fights, which are not so good, as these work like they did in 'Disaster Day of Crisis', but the enemies here do not move and usually have explosive right next to them for you to shoot. There's only 6 'areas' and the game can easily be completed in 3-4 hours. Graphics are solid - much better than what we've seen in the images online. There are some good ideas but they're wasted e.g instead of controlling Indy while he runs across a bridge and dodge's falling debris you watch an FMV of it instead, and when you come to the bottom of a mountain or other area where it looks like you'll be spending some quality time using your platforming skills to climb up it, you're 'treated' to an FMV once again. Puzzle-wise there are 3 or 4 sections where you have to put your thinking cap on and these do feel Zelda-esque, but it's not enough. A real shame. :sad

The DS version is fantastic though! Great gameplay and presentation, it's fun and the story is told better - no idea what was going on in the Wii version at times.

Edited by welsh_gamer

Thanks for those impressions mate! You reckon it's best to buy on DS or PSP then when it hits the bargain bin? I can see it being a pretty good PSP game actually.

I've read some pretty good impressions from people who have the PSP version on Indy forums, but if you're thinking of getting the Wii version, defintley wait till it's £9.99 ish.

It got a 69% in the latest issue of NGamer. Would you agree Rhys?

Hmmm, 49-59% I'd say. Ah well, at least it has Fate of Atlantis for me to play :awesome:

• 1 month later...

I've put some serious time in thise one, and while I understand the gripes I've heard about (unskippable cut-scenes and tutorials, somewhat unresponsive controls,...), I find this game nowhere as bad as I've read here and there. Am I really the only one rather *gasp* enjoying this?

True, there is a steep learning curve for the fighting-controls, but after some training I landed the punches I wanted to. Well, most of the time anyway. ;)

The trick is not to waggle. You have to use small, controlled motions. Forward for jab, up for uppercut and inwards for jab. No big motions, mind. Same for the whip. I can grab the head, waist or feet whenever I want to.

I've heard terrible things about the second level in which you control a plane. I LOVED that level and thought the controls were great. Finished it without crashing and was disappointed it was over so quickly.

The graphics are pretty good! Way better than I expected. The voice-acting isn't too shabby either.

My gripes are: unskippable cut-scenes, unskippable tutorials (not an issue once you've passed them), not the most reliable of controls (but when it finally clicks, it really works), very linear (though there are several approaches to a situation on some occasions, e.g. go through door or sneek in from behind the bar) and some bugs 'n glitches. But I'v eplayed far worse games. Far worse. And if I have to choose between this and Tomb Raider on Wii, Indy wins with a knockout.

It's not a classic, far from it, and it's more Crystal Skull than Last Crusade, but it's a piece of entertainment, and it's true to the Indy-spirit. Just don't expect an Uncharted.

€60 is way too much, though, compared the other games outthere and their prices.

One thing that I found 'funny': The enemy are without a doubt the Nazi's, yet in the game the word Nazi is never used, nor the Swastika-symbol. I can unstand they want to remove the imagery (though Emperors Tomb had them), but they still talk about the Germans, their Führer, Third Reich, etc. Why not call a cat a cat when it's so obvious they mean Nazi's?

Edited by Strange Cookie