Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Cancer Gene-Free Baby Born

Dante

The laws are there to protect people and as far as we know there is nothing harmful about it.

The people that are against it are that because of their own personnel opinion on that matter and people´s opinion should not be put as law.

I'm all for it.

Yes the baby was an experiment and yes that seems somewhat unfair to have no say in what you are born with and without.

But she's saved herself down the line of being rid of something that is more than likely to happen to her and possibly kill her. I can imagine it eradicating cancer and if it'd been around when my mother was born, then she might still be alive today.

Being given extra years with your daughter far outweighs being an experiment...obviously there needs to be bounderies, otherwise like with everything it will go too far.

So you are all saying that this technology will only ever be used to prevent diseases?

No, that is up to the people with that technology.

Every new technology brings up the subject of it being used for harm, if we stop every research on the off chance that bad things might be used with it then we could just stop every research and just leave society as it is in the year 2009 because everything we make can be used to harm.

The laws are there to protect people and as far as we know there is nothing harmful about it.

The people that are against it are that because of their own personnel opinion on that matter and people´s opinion should not be put as law.

You're right, there are laws to protect people, but there are also just as many laws created that involve legality of issues such as this. You also have to think about laws that can protect people either way, for instance: the death penalty in this country is illegal. With this you are protecting those who have committed crimes from the punishment of death and - depending on how you view this - you are protecting an over-arching effect on society. But then the law of: death penalty is legal is protecting those of the community via a deterrent. Both laws, which are opposite to each other, are protecting the people.

This is why it's not as clear-cut, especially when dealing with issues like this. And the problem is that people's opinion should technically be put as law - or else the idea of the Democratic law-process is invalid. That's what the system is based on. Yet this doesn't happen (death penalty for instance - polls suggest most people want it re-instated).

In my opinion the changing of human structure before physical birth shouldn't be allowed. I understand that these problems are awful and it makes me feel bad when you hear the personal side from people (like nightwolf). But these factors don't change my opinion on the overall state of the situation.

Personally I think that people´s opinion should not be law, at least if it´s baseless. I think it could end up with some pretty strange foreign policy´s but we´re getting off topic here.

But I think it should allowed as a choice for people if they think this is beneficial for them.