N-Europe

Need to turn my VHS collection to digital. How?

Choze

I have a large collection of mainly video and old classics on VHS that i want to backup but in digital form. I hope they arent damaged but the idea is that in digital form they are safe no matter what.

No clue how to go about this. We have a VHS player and a DVD recorder in the house. So do i just use those or can i get something for a pc that lets me work with lots of files?

You can get a video capture card (or a USB adapter thing) for your PC and that would give you better quality than hooking it up to the dvd recorder. However, it would take loads more time and effort.

There may be some issues with copy-protection if you hook it up to your DVD recorder. (Macrovision stuff.)

I did it with a DVD recorder, just hook the vhs to the dvd recorder and it works perfect. Tried with a usb video card and it didn't work too well, if you do it this way, choose the card carefully but it will be a bit expensive.

We've got a two in VHS/DVD recorder, can do a straight over record between the two from what I understand(ive never used the thing, ever), though it's probably an expensive investment for just converting your stuff when you've got an alternative option already. I don't know if it can play in any other DVD players either, as weird as that sounds, but that might just be for TV recorded stuff, not sure!