N-Europe

Asus Laptop Help

Daft

Okay, I'm looking for one of those new mini laptop things and as you guys know everything I thought it'd be a good idea to get your input. :smile:

I have a desktop at home so I really want this for Uni (Word, internet, other uni stuff....whatever that is) so I want something I can just slide into my bag and have it basically blend in with my books.

Here is a rough list of criteria:

1. I want to spend upto and around £350.
  2. The laptop has to be small, like really small (Asus Eee PC 1000 being the biggest size really, so around that)
  3. A fair ammount of HDD space, again the Eee PC 1000 has 40Gb flash memory.
  4. I'd also feel safer with Windows.
  5. Good battery life (or at least an easy option to expand on it).
  6. It has to have WiFi and all that but that's pretty much standard nowadays I think.
  7. Durability would also be great. You probably all know things just....break around me.

If there is anything else I am missing on that list please point it out, I'd really appreciate it.

So far I have a faint idea that the Asus Eee PC 1000 running Windows would be ideal but I really have no idea so if anyone could help me with this that would be fantastic! : peace:

Yeah, you should go for that. And the Eee PC 1000H does have a fairly big hard drive actually, it's 80GB.

And you mean you feel safer with Windows as in you know where to find stuff?

Yeah, I'm used to it. I know the ins and outs of Windows and I know Linux has a pretty good rep but if Windows mucks up I tend to know why and how to fix it.

Have you heard good things about the Eee PC 1000H I take it?

I've heard that Asuses are pretty solid and well-crafted netbooks. They invented it, so they must be pretty good. Considering you can't get a 1000 with XP (you can only get the 1000H with XP, the 1000 is Linux only) .

To be honest, the fact you're expecting XP to muck up and you need to fix it really means you should try Linux. Linux has never mucked up on me in the last year I've started using it - and I used 'unstable' beta versions. Considering it's actually made for the laptop it should be pretty damn solid. They've also tweaked the interface to work with a small screen like that.

Don't go for Linux if you're really uncomfortable stepping outside of Windows, but it's really rock solid and user friendly from what I've seen. And you can always install XP on it if you don't like it in the end.

Also, flash drive >> hard drive. It'll boot up in 30 seconds :smile:

Thanks for the help btw.

I'm not expecting to have any problems with XP, I guess I just know my way around it well enough to not want to switch.

Just to be absolutely clear, this is the one we are both thinking about:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/1000H-BK007X-Netbook-Windows-Preloaded/dp/tech-data/B001C9SXLG/ref=de_a_smtd

Seems like a decent price...I think. :heh:

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1402781499.1225289723@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccccadefhmmddhdcflgceggdhhmdgmi.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=219404&category_oid=

Really nice small quick netbook for £280. Much better than the Asus 1000H in terms of build quality and keyboard in my opinion. Only down side is the battery life is shocking but there are bigger batteries on ebay which would gives around 4 and a half hours charge

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1402781499.1225289723@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccccadefhmmddhdcflgceggdhhmdgmi.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=219404&category_oid=

Really nice small quick netbook for £280. Much better than the Asus 1000H in terms of build quality and keyboard in my opinion. Only down side is the battery life is shocking but there are bigger batteries on ebay which would gives around 4 and a half hours charge

Do you know this from personal experience?

I used to have an Advent desktop (ages ago) and it wasn't too reliable. Has that changed?

That advent laptop looks really good. Not aesthetically, but the specifications for the price are nice. eeepc's are in danger of becoming the Laptop version of the iPod,* people will run after them because they have a name and started something.

* disclaimer, I'm not trying to start an argument about iPods, I like them and have owned 3. I'm just aware that many people will choose it for the name without considering whether it's their best choice.

Do you know this from personal experience?

I used to have an Advent desktop (ages ago) and it wasn't too reliable. Has that changed?

Yeah iv got one and so has Jordan. Love it to pieces. Bought an extra gig of ram for about £10 and it runs like a dream.

I tried the Asus 1000H in Pc World the other day and i just hated the keyboard. I also prefer the look of the Advent over the Asus which is a shame because i thought the old Eee pcs looked brilliant

Yeah iv got one and so has Jordan. Love it to pieces. Bought an extra gig of ram for about £10 and it runs like a dream.

I tried the Asus 1000H in Pc World the other day and i just hated the keyboard. I also prefer the look of the Advent over the Asus which is a shame because i thought the old Eee pcs looked brilliant

I have swung to the advent partly because I heard the Eee makes a lot of noise. Plus I agree that the Advent looks nicer.

How hard is it to install RAM?

Also, anyone know of any good places to buy the Advent??

I have swung to the advent partly because I heard the Eee makes a lot of noise. Plus I agree that the Advent looks nicer.

How hard is it to install RAM?

Also, anyone know of any good places to buy the Advent??

I think everywhere that sells them (pc world, currys etc) are all £280.

RAM is really really easy to install. Just need a small-ish screwdriver and follow these intructions:

http://netbookmag.com/2008/07/07/tutorial-advent-4211-memory-upgrade-msi-wind/