NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Zechs Merquise

The State of Play on Wii

I have a feeling MP1 and MP2 might get quite a big revamp. The control mechanics of MP3 can't just be ported over.

They'd probably have to alter the enemy and puzzle structures of those two games. I remember EDGE's 'Revolution' controller feature just after it was first seen in 2005, and they spoke about trying out a configuration for MP2. The most damning comment was that 'here Nintendo's history of innovation worked against them, as Metroid Prime 2 was designed for conventional control, and this system doesn't work well with it' (or something like that :heh:). So yeah, chances are Retro Studios are giving the originals a little internal revamp alongside their big Wii Project. :)

In my opinion, the most innovative games this generation have not been on Wii, with the exception of Mario Galaxy and Zack and Wiki. (Though admittedly, I've not played Wario Land yet, should be getting it for Xmas). And I'm hoping that Motionplus will change this

I'm talking about stuff like Braid, Portal, GTA4 (through it's attention to detail) Viva Pinata etc

MP3, Smash Bros and even Mario Kart are pretty much the same as last gen. Online on 360 is so much better than Wii (mainly due to lack of voice chat, which I know is being addressed, and those stupid console codes)

And I never said Halo 3 was innovative, far from it.

So much shit you speak! Can you please tell me when you have played Mwetroid Prime 3 before please.... And if you say it's just like Metroid Prime, firstly, you are COMPLETELY wrong, and secondly, the 360's biggest gripe is the fact it's the same old bullshit in HD! Truly, truly baffling statement from yourself.

The rest is fine, prefer the 360? Awesome. But to say that is just.....

So are you saying all these games are crap - Smash, Mario Kart, De Blob, Boom Blox, Wario Land, Pro Evo, Tigr Woods, Olympics etc.?

Where the 360 has innovated mainly is in the online department. I never found online to be a big deal, even on the original Xbox, but the 360 has added so much more in that department, and there's more to come in the November update. I'd say that the main one is the achievements. Such a small thing, but I've got so much more time out of my games because of them. I wouldn't have spent half the time that I did if I'd have bought say, Bully on the Wii. And yes, I'll admit I'm an achievements whore!

As for your list of Wii games. Smash, I didn't like the cube version, so I won't like this one. Mario Kart is good but offers little new to the franchise. Not interested in sports games too much. de Blob and Wario I may get for Christmas. Off hand, I can't remember what Boom Blox is, sorry!

It's just my opinion so don't flame me, but it's a fact that I've spent more time on the 360 than on the Wii

Yes, the Wii has had a lot of PS2 ports.

However, I just think that the wrong titles have been ported. I'd love to see Black (with online multiplayer), MGS3 or maybe an upgraded version of Metropolis Street Racer. Daytona USA would also kick ass. GTA on a stationary Nintendo console is also long overdue.

The developers ARE most truly lazy on the Wii. Hopefully this casual trend will die off soon.

In my opinion, the most innovative games this generation have not been on Wii, with the exception of Mario Galaxy and Zack and Wiki. (Though admittedly, I've not played Wario Land yet, should be getting it for Xmas). And I'm hoping that Motionplus will change this

I'm talking about stuff like Braid, Portal, GTA4 (through it's attention to detail) Viva Pinata etc

MP3, Smash Bros and even Mario Kart are pretty much the same as last gen. Online on 360 is so much better than Wii (mainly due to lack of voice chat, which I know is being addressed, and those stupid console codes)

And I never said Halo 3 was innovative, far from it.

Where the 360 has innovated mainly is in the online department. I never found online to be a big deal, even on the original Xbox, but the 360 has added so much more in that department, and there's more to come in the November update. I'd say that the main one is the achievements. Such a small thing, but I've got so much more time out of my games because of them. I wouldn't have spent half the time that I did if I'd have bought say, Bully on the Wii. And yes, I'll admit I'm an achievements whore!

As for your list of Wii games. Smash, I didn't like the cube version, so I won't like this one. Mario Kart is good but offers little new to the franchise. Not interested in sports games too much. de Blob and Wario I may get for Christmas. Off hand, I can't remember what Boom Blox is, sorry!

It's just my opinion so don't flame me, but it's a fact that I've spent more time on the 360 than on the Wii

To be fair, if online is what you like then I can see why 360 appelas to you, I have to admit they have done an exceptional job in this department. It doesn't appeal to me, thus not renewing my subscription and just sticking with PS3's and Wii's free service.

As for innovative games, again I would agree with you (not on GTA4 though, which is so bad it makes my heart bleed bleach) Braid and Portal are some of the best games on the 360, I would say Viva Pinata too but I actually think it works better on the DS. But they are on par with lot of Wii games (maybe lower) in terms of innovative, new design approaches - Z&W, De Blob, Pro Evo, Tiger Woods, FPS's, Mario Galaxy and by all accounts a few of the WiiWare games (Goo for example). THIS is what appeals to me! Even normal games feel better on Wii (Bully, Scarface, Godfather, Starwars Unleashed, Medal of Honour etc.)!! But, all three consoles are amazing, we're very lucky, and in my opinion even luckier that Nintendo decied to do something different - no point having three identical consoles now is it? :D

To be fair, if online is what you like then I can see why 360 appelas to you, I have to admit they have done an exceptional job in this department. It doesn't appeal to me, thus not renewing my subscription and just sticking with PS3's and Wii's free service.

As for innovative games, again I would agree with you (not on GTA4 though, which is so bad it makes my heart bleed bleach) Braid and Portal are some of the best games on the 360, I would say Viva Pinata too but I actually think it works better on the DS. But they are on par with lot of Wii games (maybe lower) in terms of innovative, new design approaches - Z&W, De Blob, Pro Evo, Tiger Woods, FPS's, Mario Galaxy and by all accounts a few of the WiiWare games (Goo for example). THIS is what appeals to me! Even normal games feel better on Wii (Bully, Scarface, Godfather, Starwars Unleashed, Medal of Honour etc.)!! But, all three consoles are amazing, we're very lucky, and in my opinion even luckier that Nintendo decied to do something different - no point having three identical consoles now is it? :D

Totally agree with you there. I'm in the Wii60 club.

The only reason I don't have a PS3 is that there aren't enough games on it that interest me that I can't get on 360. At the moment anyway.

Don't get me wrong - I still love the Wii, but have been a little underwhelmed by it and have been pleasantly surprised by the 360. Maybe that has more to do with my expectations for both consoles though. The first time I saw the Red Steel trailer from E3 06, I was very excited by the possibilities. Since then, we've found out that the Wiimote isn't as accurate as we thought it would be, but maybe Motionplus will change this.

I also agree with you that Viva Pinata works better on the DS. It's just a shame that things go rotten about 5 times more quickly!

The only reason I don't have a PS3 is that there aren't enough games on it that interest me that I can't get on 360. At the moment anyway.

Don't get me wrong - I still love the Wii, but have been a little underwhelmed by it and have been pleasantly surprised by the 360. Maybe that has more to do with my expectations for both consoles though. The first time I saw the Red Steel trailer from E3 06, I was very excited by the possibilities. Since then, we've found out that the Wiimote isn't as accurate as we thought it would be, but maybe Motionplus will change this.

i pretty much entierly agree with you, if you swap the ps3 and 360 around (got the ps3, and not enough to tempt me to the 360 yet, also, the having to pay for online isnt an option right now)

what worries me though, is that even with the improved accuracy of the motion plus, things won be that different.

Sign in to follow this