Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Wii HD in 2011?

Hero-of-Time

That would be so awesome, but I really don't see why Nintendo made this move, it doesn't fit AT ALL with the current strategy. And if anything they'll use it for internal storage, as I imagine it can fit hundreds of gigabytes of information in a 1cm^2.

Nintendo's current strategy is far from what it seems. I imagine they'll have a fairly powerful console next generation and will probably want something slightly bigger than DVD, and I doubt they would want to use Blu-ray.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nintendo has always used weird strategies every generation and so far they're working.

The holographic storage would definitely be a step ahead the competition. If it proves to be feasible that is.

Not only that, but I want to tell the cool kinds in town: "Hey!! My console has HOLOGRAMS in it!! Can yours do that?"

And I'll be cool again.

Nintendo has always used weird strategies every generation and so far they're working.

The holographic storage would definitely be a step ahead the competition. If it proves to be feasible that is.

Not only that, but I want to tell the cool kinds in town: "Hey!! My console has HOLOGRAMS in it!! Can yours do that?"

And I'll be cool again.

NOOOOO, nothing that fancy please - I don;t want a home versio of the Virtual Boy! I've actually played one of those thinsg and they are GHASTLY!

NOOOOO, nothing that fancy please - I don;t want a home versio of the Virtual Boy! I've actually played one of those thinsg and they are GHASTLY!

Um, we're talking about holographic storage, not cheap 3D effects. Actually, I think the tech is good enough now that they could probably make something like the virtual boy and have a pretty good console.

Hmm, I think its going to be a little longer before we see something like that. Games need time to develop and they're might be some issues with it yet. EA did drop it from bloom box.

Speaking of Johnny Lee, I haven't seen any videos from him recently, I wonder if he's gotten hired by a game developer.

Some of you guys are mixing up holographic storage with holographic videogames or Virtual Reality.

Nothing to do with each other.

If it does have holographic storage, Nintendo might as well lose any kind of media (except a few USB ports and SD slots) and make it digital distribution only.

That would be perfect but lot's of people will still have their consoles offline in 3 years.

When internet has reached 90% of the consoles all over the world, then digital distribution will surely be the only distribution available. And I hope they make it cheaper, since they don't have to pay for transportation. Just servers.

Hmm, Its possible we get the option to either buy the game on a disk, or download it. I can't see them getting rid of optical media completely. Although, if I could download games, I probably would rather do that, provided the console had a huge HDD.

How big is the average 360/PS3 game.

The beauty of a hybrid model, meaning you can download all games and buy some on disk, is that the difference between simple WiiWare games and the more complex games fades. Which is exactly what Nintendo's trying to achieve. Then they can actually go charge less for games like Wii Sports and My Word Coach as they have far less production value than, say, Zelda.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!